• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BREAKING NEWS: Zac Goldmith elevated to the House of Lords and will remain as Cabinet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      BREAKING NEWS: Zac Goldsmith elevated to the House of Lords and will remain as Cabinet Minister despite losing his seat.

I'm glad we're leaving the corrupt, undemocratic EU.
      And Nicky Morgan, who stepped down as an MP and said she'd never serve in a Johnson cabinet.
      Nicky Morgan gets Cabinet job and peerage despite vowing to quit Parliament | PoliticsHome.com
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Bloody European countries and their gravy trains full of unelected bureaucrats
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          No supporter of the House of Lords, our democratic system need reform, but at least his position has been secured by someone the British public did elect, not by those that nobody here or in other EU countries ever had the chance to vote for. Who voted for Juncker?
          Agree, and I voted Brexit. However, those who have lost their seats must leave government IMO, and Zac should not get anywhere near the Lords.

Comment

BREAKING NEWS: Zac Goldsmith elevated to the House of Lords and will remain as Cabinet Minister despite losing his seat.
            I call FAKE NEWS... this hasn't happened yet, although it is mooted.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              A majority of all leaders of the 28 nations of the EU.

You could at least make an effort to find out how it all works.

Edit: my bad. 19 members of the Euro, given the context of the Eurogroup.
              It's amazing that 20 odd years after the reform of the EU that the old 1970's argument of unelected bureaucrats is still trotted out.

Did anyone in Scotland vote for Zac ?
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                It's amazing that 20 odd years after the reform of the EU that the old 1970's argument of unelected bureaucrats is still trotted out.

Did anyone in Scotland vote for Zac ?
                It's amazing that after hundreds of years of almost no reform at all, there are a faction of people who believe they've taken back control.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Same for Morgan but isn't the writing between the lines that this is temporary until Brexit, to avoid getting bogged down in a re-shuffle?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Same for Morgan but isn't the writing between the lines that this is temporary until Brexit, to avoid getting bogged down in a re-shuffle?
                    temporary elevation to a peer. Now that would be a reform and a half... And one with some merit.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

temporary elevation to a peer. Now that would be a reform and a half... And one with some merit.
                      Temporary cabinet position as a non-MP

Though I thought a peerage took longer than this - is there a special mechanism whereby you get it automatically if you are asked to remain in a position without being an MP?

Will they be able to attend Commons to talk in their cabinet capacity or have to deputise an actual MP?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X