• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland's future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    well, from an application programmer's point of view, which is what I am, Assembler, PL/1 and COBOL programs that I wrote over 40 years ago will still run on today's IBM mainframe platforms, probably without being re-compiled. Using any of these languages, the answer to my question about the use of a packed decimal field will be the same. So what would the equivalent machine code instruction to the one I listed be in the architecture you list?

I'm still awaiting BR14's answer to my question, BTW.
    Yes, old stuff will still work, I still run Snake on a new system but in order to provide better performance you could rewrite your old programs using the new instruction set, some people do, some don't.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

feck me its a load of cpu anoraks

real men leave that to the infrastrucure monkeys.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

What I find interesting is that all we hear from Mrs. Krankie is a call for another referendum to give Scotland independence, yet so far I've not seen any hard proposals of how Scotland would manage its own affairs. I couldn't see any UK government allowing Scotland to enjoy any UK benefits, like the NHS for example, neither could I see Scotland being allowed to use the £ Sterling. Surely they would have to accept the Euro? There would clearly have to be a hard border between England and Scotland and these are only the high level issues. Goodness knows how many other issues would be lurking.
        How do other small nations like Norway, Denmark and Sweden manage without England running them?

Being ‘allowed’ to use stuff?

The Scottish NHS is separate from the English NHS.

The £Sterling can be used by any country, just as the $US is.

We don’t have to accept the €Euro unless we want to. My preference would be to set up our own currency but don’t have a problem with the €Euro.

The UK government have said that NI doesn’t need a border with its EU deal so why would Scotland?

We have lots of resources including oil, wind and wave. Lots of water too. How will England manage when we leave?

Comment

which is precisely why at least some of these details regarding possible independence for Scotland should be thoroughly discussed before Mrs Krankie postulates any more.

However, the situation, in my opinion, is substantially different from EU membership. Scotland is part of a sovereign country and not part of an organisation with separate sovereign countries.
          You really need to educate yourself.

Scotland is a nation where the people are sovereign. Google the claim of right. It was passed in the UK Parliament about a year ago to confirm our status.

We are not part of a sovereign country - the UK is not a country.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            Scotland is a nation where the people are sovereign.
            That'd be the people that voted 55 to 45 to stay as part of the UK in the "Once in a Generation" Referendum 6 years ago eh?

Would Brussels even allow an independent Scotland to join the EU?

A country can only join the EU if all the other member states unanimously back its accession.

With independence movements in Catalonia, Flanders, France and Italy, among others, it is highly likely that governments will be unwilling to provide encouragement to regions hoping to breakaway by granting Scotland EU membership.

Independent Kosovo, for example, remains unrecognised by Spain, leaving it marooned on a list of potential candidate countries to join the EU.
            Yeah, keep on dreaming..................
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              That'd be the people that voted 55 to 45 to stay as part of the UK in the "Once in a Generation" Referendum 6 years ago eh?

Would Brussels even allow an independent Scotland to join the EU?

Yeah, keep on dreaming..................
              All the promises made to Scots before the vote in 2014 have been broken, including that we needed to vote No to remain in the EU. Brexit is a material change in circumstances so we have the right to vote again. The ‘once in a generation’ quote wasn’t agreed as part of the Edinburgh agreement or the Smith Commission afterwards . It was a remark on a tv programme taken out of context.

The EU will be falling over themselves to have Scotland join. We are a major oil producer and our fishing grounds are much sought after. Many in the EU are now saying publicly that they would fast track us back in. If for nothing else that to give a big ‘get it up ye’ to the rUK.

Here’s one recent example Path open for independent Scotland to 'walk into' EU membership - The Scotsman

In an interview with the BBC, former EU Council chief Herman Van Rompuy said: "I think there is a change, yes, because for a lot of people they are looking at what Scottish people are in favour of.

"They want to stay in the European Union and at the same time they are prevented to stay in the European Union because there is this Brexit case, and there is not much sympathy for the Brexit case in the European Union, not among the leaders and not among the men and women in the street."
              Last edited by Batcher; 2 January 2020, 22:21.

Comment

All the promises made to Scots before the vote in 2014 have been broken, including that we needed to vote No to remain in the EU. Brexit is a material change in circumstances so we have the right to vote again. The ‘once in a generation’ quote wasn’t agreed as part of the Edinburgh agreement or the Smith Commission afterwards . It was a remark on a tv programme taken out of context.

The EU will be falling over themselves to have Scotland join. We are a major oil producer and our fishing grounds are much sought after. Many in the EU are now saying publicly that they would fast track us back in. If for nothing else that to give a big ‘get it up ye’ to the rUK.

Here’s one recent example Path open for independent Scotland to 'walk into' EU membership - The Scotsman

In an interview with the BBC, former EU Council chief Herman Van Rompuy said: "I think there is a change, yes, because for a lot of people they are looking at what Scottish people are in favour of.

"They want to stay in the European Union and at the same time they are prevented to stay in the European Union because there is this Brexit case, and there is not much sympathy for the Brexit case in the European Union, not among the leaders and not among the men and women in the street."
                Hey buddy, let the English vote on your future. You'll get what you want.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

You really need to educate yourself.

Scotland is a nation where the people are sovereign. Google the claim of right. It was passed in the UK Parliament about a year ago to confirm our status.

We are not part of a sovereign country - the UK is not a country.
                  the UK is not a country
                  do you hold a Scottish passport or a British one?

Henry VIII missed a trick when he only absorbed Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Yes, old stuff will still work, I still run Snake on a new system but in order to provide better performance you could rewrite your old programs using the new instruction set, some people do, some don't.
                    thanks. I guess if I had many more years left, I should gen up on this.

Comment

We have lots of resources including oil, wind and wave. Lots of water too. How will England manage when we leave?
                      Some more income streams possible:

Defra to buy carbon credits to incentivise tree planting - Farmers Weekly

Growth in Scottish financial services outstrips the City of London - Business Insider

The big issue is how much of the UK debt would Scotland be saddled with and how much would the interest payments on this debt drag on a independent Scotland?

Comment

Working...
                      X