• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit: Full UK-EU trade deal 'impossible' by deadline - von der Leyen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit: Full UK-EU trade deal 'impossible' by deadline - von der Leyen

But I thought it would be the easiest deal in history?

3rd time lucky T- 22 days and counting.

The UK and the EU will remain the "best of friends" but they will "not be as close as before" after Brexit, the new European Commission president has said.

Speaking ahead of talks with the PM, Ursula von der Leyen warned it would be "impossible" to reach a comprehensive trade deal by the end of 2020.

She said if the deadline was not extended it was not a case of "all or nothing", but of priorities.

Boris Johnson has insisted a deal is possible by December 2020.

After their meeting in No 10, a Downing Street spokesman said talks had been "positive", but the PM had been "clear" the process of negotiation would not be extended.

After its 31 January exit, the UK will enter into an 11-month transition period in which it will largely follow EU rules but will not have any representation in the bloc's institutions. This period will come to an end on 31 December.

Only when the UK leaves the EU can the two sides begin talks on their future economic relationship.

Mr Johnson told Mrs von der Leyen he "wanted a positive new UK and EU partnership, based on friendly co-operation, our shared history, interests and values", as well as a "broad free trade agreement covering goods and services, and cooperation in other areas".

He also said the UK was ready to start negotiations "as soon as possible" after 31 January.
    source: Brexit: Full UK-EU trade deal 'impossible' by deadline - von der Leyen - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    But I thought it would be the easiest deal in history?

3rd time lucky T- 22 days and counting.
    The Tory "cake and eat it" that they sold to the masses? The next 12 months could be fun
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Yeah yeah they also said there would be no WA renegotiation with Boris!

And as we know, he secured a deal completely different and totally renegotiated from May's

The EU will cave in due course... December 2020 I think

Comment

Trade deals usually start with the aim of bringing two divergent economies togeather. This negotiation is unusual in that the two parties are already 100% aligned and it's a case of working out what will be different.

If you are looking forward to months of chaos and dissent then you'll be disappointed. The actual negotiations will occur in private, as they did in the initial 18 months of the BREXIT, with very little news and no drama.

If a deal is reached, Borris's commanding majority will mean it passes easily on the UK side. I think the drama is more likely on the EU side when regional government of Wallonia reject the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          The Tory "cake and eat it" that they sold to the masses? The next 12 months could be fun

I'm no sure why leavers make out the next 12 months are more important than the next 22 days. The retort is often "We'll continue to follow EU rules until the year's end during which we'll negotiate ourselves a a new deal". However, it seems to me that no one is taking about how the UK will be a non-EU member next month. It is all very well saying the UK will follow EU rules like any member but member countries cannot afford EU rues to non-EU members!
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            Trade deals usually start with the aim of bringing two divergent economies togeather. This negotiation is unusual in that the two parties are already 100% aligned and it's a case of working out what will be different.
            If you are looking forward to months of chaos and dissent then you'll be disappointed. The actual negotiations will occur in private, as they did in the initial 18 months of the BREXIT, with very little news and no drama.

If a deal is reached, Borris's commanding majority will mean it passes easily on the UK side. I think the drama is more likely on the EU side when regional government of Wallonia reject the deal.

This is the point. During this time the UK was a member, so discussions were not worth the time of day. Future discussions 22-days from now will not be the same as those already past. For not least, the UK will be hip deep filling out paper work for imports and exports not to speak of anything regarding a new relationship, which will take years.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              I'm no sure why leavers make out the next 12 months are more important than the next 22 days. The retort is often "We'll continue to follow EU rules until the year's end during which we'll negotiate ourselves a a new deal". However, it seems to me that no one is taking about how the UK will be a non-EU member next month. It is all very well saying the UK will follow EU rules like any member but member countries cannot afford EU rues to non-EU members!
              That's what the "transition" deal is. Technically the UK leaves the EU on 31st Jan. Practically everything stays the same for 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                That's what the "transition" deal is. Technically the UK leaves the EU on 31st Jan. Practically everything stays the same for 12 months.
                So we're not leaving at the end of January then?

Comment

Is this another thread about someone high up in the EU desperately trying to ensure the cash cow that is the UK cannot leave?

Hmm this story is getting quite old and boring nowadays.

Comment

Think it's the divorcee saying they're going to turn professional stalker.

Comment

Working...
                    X