Best countries to get a contract given brexit & ir35 reform? Best countries to get a contract given brexit & ir35 reform? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterBait View Post
    As a non EU citizen you will be treated like workers from any other country such as Zimbabwe or Bangladesh
    If they have equal candidates they will always take the one where the additional paperwork is not required. Applying for workvisa is not something recruiters and end customers are waiting for
    That's as may be, but if they're advertising positions through UK based websites, then there is a clear demand. If you rock up in some random country expecting to find work then it may be a problem, particularly if it's unskilled work. Why would clients bother advertising positions globally if they had no intention of filling them from a wide pool? EU is not closed for business as far as I can see.

  2. #12

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    20,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Si666 View Post
    That's as may be, but if they're advertising positions through UK based websites, then there is a clear demand. If you rock up in some random country expecting to find work then it may be a problem, particularly if it's unskilled work. Why would clients bother advertising positions globally if they had no intention of filling them from a wide pool? EU is not closed for business as far as I can see.
    That’s because it hasn’t changed yet, and probably won’t until December.

    2021 may well be a whole different ball game...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  3. #13

    More time posting than coding

    MasterBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Путін Хуйло
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Si666 View Post
    That's as may be, but if they're advertising positions through UK based websites, then there is a clear demand. If you rock up in some random country expecting to find work then it may be a problem, particularly if it's unskilled work. Why would clients bother advertising positions globally if they had no intention of filling them from a wide pool? EU is not closed for business as far as I can see.
    With 3 million EU citizen living in the UK of which quite a lot are contemplating leaving, it may be a good idea for recruiters to tap into that market and advertise EU roles on UK based job boards
    Слава Україні! Героям слава!

  4. #14

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    That’s because it hasn’t changed yet, and probably won’t until December.

    2021 may well be a whole different ball game...
    Who knows. There are currently loads of UK engineers contracting in Germany and France. If the EU feel that they don't need the skill, or can source the same level of expertise from else where, then great for them. I still don't think they'd close the door to the UK and tighter than any other nation that is not in the EU.

  5. #15

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Si666 View Post
    That's as may be, but if they're advertising positions through UK based websites, then there is a clear demand. If you rock up in some random country expecting to find work then it may be a problem, particularly if it's unskilled work. Why would clients bother advertising positions globally if they had no intention of filling them from a wide pool? EU is not closed for business as far as I can see.
    To begin with, you can still work in the EU with UK passport until the end of the year. Also there are plenty of UK residents with either EU passports or valid visas or other EU countries already in place. So it's worth advertising positions in the UK and probably will still be so past December 2020.

    It also means that the client/employer might be willing to go through the visa paperwork for the right candidate. Ultimately it's a decently sized minus in your application, so the odds are stacked against you.

    What the Muppets in charge of the UK don't realise is that it goes both ways. Even the most streamlined and efficient visa program (like you can trust the UK.gov to come up with such a mythical beast) is a big minus in the choice of destination for overseas talent. So contrary to what they might want you to believe, the post-Brexit UK will not attract the "best and brightest", only the "mediocre and desperate" through the supposed points based visa program.

    edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Si666 View Post
    Who knows. There are currently loads of UK engineers contracting in Germany and France. If the EU feel that they don't need the skill, or can source the same level of expertise from else where, then great for them. I still don't think they'd close the door to the UK and tighter than any other nation that is not in the EU.
    You are forgetting it's not them who choose Brexit and the removal of free movement of labour. Although they don't want to, they will be pressed by their electorate to reciprocate any restrictions the UK chooses to impose.

    For what is worth both the UK and EU have multiple times assured that all current immigrants will retain their existing rights and the new rules will apply for new entrants only. So no, there will be no mass banishment/extradition of workers on wither side.
    Last edited by sal; 13th January 2020 at 12:12.

  6. #16

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterBait View Post
    With 3 million EU citizen living in the UK of which quite a lot are contemplating leaving, it may be a good idea for recruiters to tap into that market and advertise EU roles on UK based job boards
    Yeah, I'm sure all 3 million of them have the skills that the EU engineering and IT community need. I guess I'm going to have to start washing my own car soon.

  7. #17

    More time posting than coding

    MasterBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Путін Хуйло
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Si666 View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure all 3 million of them have the skills that the EU engineering and IT community need. I guess I'm going to have to start washing my own car soon.
    It's that kind of statements that make you look like a racist idiot brexiteer and will never land you a contract outside little England
    Слава Україні! Героям слава!

  8. #18

    Double Godlike!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    12,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterBait View Post
    It's that kind of statements that make you look like a racist idiot brexiteer and will never land you a contract outside little England
    You do realise that the vast, vast majority of UK citizens never work outside of the Uk?

  9. #19

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterBait View Post
    It's that kind of statements that make you look like a racist idiot brexiteer and will never land you a contract outside little England
    The fact that the people who wash my car are from the Ukraine does not make me racist. Nor does the fact that said car washers will leave the UK to find work designing fighter jets in France or Germany.

    Using the "racist idiot brexiteer" statement says more about your bigoty than anyone else's. I know a number of people who voted to leave in the referendum, and I'm pretty sure they're not idiots or racists.

    You seem to have overlooked the facts that I am not English, am currently working outside little England, have had several contracts on the continent, and likely will have again in the future.

    You really shouldn't make such ridiculous assumptions about people. It makes you look fantastically stupid.

  10. #20

    More time posting than coding

    MasterBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Путін Хуйло
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Si666 View Post
    The fact that the people who wash my car are from the Ukraine does not make me racist. Nor does the fact that said car washers will leave the UK to find work designing fighter jets in France or Germany.

    Using the "racist idiot brexiteer" statement says more about your bigoty than anyone else's. I know a number of people who voted to leave in the referendum, and I'm pretty sure they're not idiots or racists.

    You seem to have overlooked the facts that I am not English, am currently working outside little England, have had several contracts on the continent, and likely will have again in the future.

    You really shouldn't make such ridiculous assumptions about people. It makes you look fantastically stupid.
    1. it's Ukraine not THE Ukraine
    2. Ukraine is not in the EU (although it has a trade deal which is more then the UK has as it stands)
    3. Replace little England by Little Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland
    Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •