• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best countries to get a contract given brexit & ir35 reform?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
    As a non EU citizen you will be treated like workers from any other country such as Zimbabwe or Bangladesh
    If they have equal candidates they will always take the one where the additional paperwork is not required. Applying for workvisa is not something recruiters and end customers are waiting for
    That's as may be, but if they're advertising positions through UK based websites, then there is a clear demand. If you rock up in some random country expecting to find work then it may be a problem, particularly if it's unskilled work. Why would clients bother advertising positions globally if they had no intention of filling them from a wide pool? EU is not closed for business as far as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Si666 View Post
      That's as may be, but if they're advertising positions through UK based websites, then there is a clear demand. If you rock up in some random country expecting to find work then it may be a problem, particularly if it's unskilled work. Why would clients bother advertising positions globally if they had no intention of filling them from a wide pool? EU is not closed for business as far as I can see.
      That’s because it hasn’t changed yet, and probably won’t until December.

2021 may well be a whole different ball game...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

With 3 million EU citizen living in the UK of which quite a lot are contemplating leaving, it may be a good idea for recruiters to tap into that market and advertise EU roles on UK based job boards
        Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          That’s because it hasn’t changed yet, and probably won’t until December.

2021 may well be a whole different ball game...
          Who knows. There are currently loads of UK engineers contracting in Germany and France. If the EU feel that they don't need the skill, or can source the same level of expertise from else where, then great for them. I still don't think they'd close the door to the UK and tighter than any other nation that is not in the EU.

Comment

To begin with, you can still work in the EU with UK passport until the end of the year. Also there are plenty of UK residents with either EU passports or valid visas or other EU countries already in place. So it's worth advertising positions in the UK and probably will still be so past December 2020.

It also means that the client/employer might be willing to go through the visa paperwork for the right candidate. Ultimately it's a decently sized minus in your application, so the odds are stacked against you.

What the Muppets in charge of the UK don't realise is that it goes both ways. Even the most streamlined and efficient visa program (like you can trust the UK.gov to come up with such a mythical beast) is a big minus in the choice of destination for overseas talent. So contrary to what they might want you to believe, the post-Brexit UK will not attract the "best and brightest", only the "mediocre and desperate" through the supposed points based visa program.

edit:
            Who knows. There are currently loads of UK engineers contracting in Germany and France. If the EU feel that they don't need the skill, or can source the same level of expertise from else where, then great for them. I still don't think they'd close the door to the UK and tighter than any other nation that is not in the EU.
            You are forgetting it's not them who choose Brexit and the removal of free movement of labour. Although they don't want to, they will be pressed by their electorate to reciprocate any restrictions the UK chooses to impose.

For what is worth both the UK and EU have multiple times assured that all current immigrants will retain their existing rights and the new rules will apply for new entrants only. So no, there will be no mass banishment/extradition of workers on wither side.
            Last edited by sal; 13 January 2020, 12:12.

Comment

With 3 million EU citizen living in the UK of which quite a lot are contemplating leaving, it may be a good idea for recruiters to tap into that market and advertise EU roles on UK based job boards
              Yeah, I'm sure all 3 million of them have the skills that the EU engineering and IT community need. I guess I'm going to have to start washing my own car soon.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure all 3 million of them have the skills that the EU engineering and IT community need. I guess I'm going to have to start washing my own car soon.
                It's that kind of statements that make you look like a racist idiot brexiteer and will never land you a contract outside little England

Comment

It's that kind of statements that make you look like a racist idiot brexiteer and will never land you a contract outside little England
                  You do realise that the vast, vast majority of UK citizens never work outside of the Uk?

Comment

The fact that the people who wash my car are from the Ukraine does not make me racist. Nor does the fact that said car washers will leave the UK to find work designing fighter jets in France or Germany.

Using the "racist idiot brexiteer" statement says more about your bigoty than anyone else's. I know a number of people who voted to leave in the referendum, and I'm pretty sure they're not idiots or racists.

You seem to have overlooked the facts that I am not English, am currently working outside little England, have had several contracts on the continent, and likely will have again in the future.

You really shouldn't make such ridiculous assumptions about people. It makes you look fantastically stupid.

Comment

The fact that the people who wash my car are from the Ukraine does not make me racist. Nor does the fact that said car washers will leave the UK to find work designing fighter jets in France or Germany.

Using the "racist idiot brexiteer" statement says more about your bigoty than anyone else's. I know a number of people who voted to leave in the referendum, and I'm pretty sure they're not idiots or racists.

You seem to have overlooked the facts that I am not English, am currently working outside little England, have had several contracts on the continent, and likely will have again in the future.

You really shouldn't make such ridiculous assumptions about people. It makes you look fantastically stupid.
                      1. it's Ukraine not THE Ukraine
                      2. Ukraine is not in the EU (although it has a trade deal which is more then the UK has as it stands)
                      3. Replace little England by Little Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland

Comment

Working...
                      X