• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of retiring to France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of retiring to France

Just a bit concerned this Brexit lark will affect my plans on retiring to France in my winter years. Do you think the French people will still welcome me with open arms?

Also, if I do move, is it legal in France to hoist the St Georges Flag in the front garden?

I'm concerned that EU countries like France will flounder after the UK leaves, I know this means my money goes further but will this cause resentment with the locals when I turn up in my flash car?

Last one, often when communicating with the French I have to raise my voice and speak slowly for them to understand basic English, causing embarrassment for them because they don't understand me, even if I shout slowly. Has anyone had any experience of apps that help the French to understand English, perhaps one that amplifies my voice?

Only serious replies please.

yes.
    yes.
    yes.
    no.

next

Comment

Your mum?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Your mum?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        serious replies only, this is serious question, in a professional forum.

Comment

Serious question indeed that warrants serious answer.

The answer is NO - people who wanted Brexit should NOT expect to move to France or any other country for that matter.

In order to make it effective lie detector test should be administered for all visas, even though in most cases simple IQ test would be sufficient.

Comment

You can always get some binoculars and watch it off one of the Channel Islands.
            Probably only during the night as in the new bargain basement Britain it's not very likely you'll be able to see daylight or even retire.
            Last edited by GigiBronz; 21 January 2020, 23:37.

Comment

don't worry a few years after we leave we will have to go back & liberate it from the Filthy Boche / Frogs as usual. The french ladies will be glad to see us just like they did our Grandads.. Check first they may be your cousin, its a problem unless you come from Norfolk.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Following the last General Election ever, you'll be lucky to be able to move to the next town without a passport. Oh, wait... Corbyn lost. Sorry. As you were.

As for communicating with the French, it helps while your shouting, to wave a three day old copy of the Daily Mail threateningly at them. The fear will make them remember that they are, after all, fluent in English.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Serious question indeed that warrants serious answer.

The answer is NO - people who wanted Brexit should NOT expect to move to France or any other country for that matter.

In order to make it effective lie detector test should be administered for all visas, even though in most cases simple IQ test would be sufficient.
                  Why?

You have made an assumption - which it seems a lot of people who do not want Brexit have also made - which is that because we do not want to be part of a political union whose sole interest is the continuation of itself and it's goal to be seen as a single unified European country we therefore do not want to enjoy the finer parts of what the European Continent has to offer.

Do I want to become a part of the USA? No

And therefore by your logic I cannot enjoy what that country has to offer.

We are not in Soviet Union now you know.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    ... IQ test would be sufficient.
                    Why?
                    Because Brexiters without any exceptions whatsoever are all superbly intelligent? Only let the thickos into Europe.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X