Thinking of retiring to France Thinking of retiring to France
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20

Super poster

Default Thinking of retiring to France

Just a bit concerned this Brexit lark will affect my plans on retiring to France in my winter years. Do you think the French people will still welcome me with open arms?

Also, if I do move, is it legal in France to hoist the St Georges Flag in the front garden?

I'm concerned that EU countries like France will flounder after the UK leaves, I know this means my money goes further but will this cause resentment with the locals when I turn up in my flash car?

Last one, often when communicating with the French I have to raise my voice and speak slowly for them to understand basic English, causing embarrassment for them because they don't understand me, even if I shout slowly. Has anyone had any experience of apps that help the French to understand English, perhaps one that amplifies my voice?

Only serious replies please.

Godlike

yes.
    yes.
    yes.
    no.

next
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

Contractor Among Contractors

Your mum?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Your mum?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    serious replies only, this is serious question, in a professional forum.

My post count is Majestic

Serious question indeed that warrants serious answer.

The answer is NO - people who wanted Brexit should NOT expect to move to France or any other country for that matter.

In order to make it effective lie detector test should be administered for all visas, even though in most cases simple IQ test would be sufficient.

Should post faster

You can always get some binoculars and watch it off one of the Channel Islands.
    Probably only during the night as in the new bargain basement Britain it's not very likely you'll be able to see daylight or even retire.
    Last edited by GigiBronz; 21st January 2020 at 23:37.

My post count is Majestic

don't worry a few years after we leave we will have to go back & liberate it from the Filthy Boche / Frogs as usual. The french ladies will be glad to see us just like they did our Grandads.. Check first they may be your cousin, its a problem unless you come from Norfolk.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Respect my authoritah!

Following the last General Election ever, you'll be lucky to be able to move to the next town without a passport. Oh, wait... Corbyn lost. Sorry. As you were.

As for communicating with the French, it helps while your shouting, to wave a three day old copy of the Daily Mail threateningly at them. The fear will make them remember that they are, after all, fluent in English.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Serious question indeed that warrants serious answer.

The answer is NO - people who wanted Brexit should NOT expect to move to France or any other country for that matter.

In order to make it effective lie detector test should be administered for all visas, even though in most cases simple IQ test would be sufficient.
    Why?

You have made an assumption - which it seems a lot of people who do not want Brexit have also made - which is that because we do not want to be part of a political union whose sole interest is the continuation of itself and it's goal to be seen as a single unified European country we therefore do not want to enjoy the finer parts of what the European Continent has to offer.

Do I want to become a part of the USA? No

And therefore by your logic I cannot enjoy what that country has to offer.

We are not in Soviet Union now you know.

Respect my authoritah!

Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    ... IQ test would be sufficient.
    Why?
    Because Brexiters without any exceptions whatsoever are all superbly intelligent? Only let the thickos into Europe.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath