• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Golden age of Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Golden age of Britain

...and on day 1

Car manufacturers predict a drop in production

On the eve of the U.K. leaving the EU, British automakers warned a free-trade agreement with the bloc is needed to rekindle investment and stem tumbling production. Output already dropped more than 14% last year to 1.3 million cars, the lowest in a decade, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders said. It’s expected to drop another 2.3% to 1.27 million units in 2020.
    The future of carmaking in the U.K. is at risk of unraveling if tariffs are imposed and supply chains are impacted by Brexit, the SMMT said. About 55% of all cars made in Britain are exported to the EU, and they’re loaded with parts that often have traversed the border multiple times during the manufacturing process.
    That's just car manufacturing. Hold on to your hats.
    I'm alright Jack

It’s them diesel engines innit?

Comment

Looks like although Britain might be golden it will be getting smaller:

Poll shows majority support Scottish Independence

There's been quite a shift towards independence over the last year.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Looks like although Britain might be golden it will be getting smaller:

Poll shows majority support Scottish Independence

There's been quite a shift towards independence over the last year.
        Are the Scots at the head of the queue to join the EU?
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Are the Scots at the head of the queue to join the EU?
          That is largely irrelevant. It won't stop independence.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

That is largely irrelevant. It won't stop independence.
            They won't get independence, for a number of reasons.

Reason 1 - We won't let them have another referendum.
            Reason 2 - Not all Scots want to leave the Union.
            Reason 3 - They've nowhere to go and nothing to do it with.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              They won't get independence, for a number of reasons.

Reason 1 - We won't let them have another referendum.
              Reason 2 - Not all Scots want to leave the Union.
              Reason 3 - They've nowhere to go and nothing to do it with.
              If you look at the poll, you'll notice the main reason for the shift in opinion is because the young people reaching voting age are massively in favour of independence. The longer the referendum is delayed the more likely it is the Scots will vote for independence. There will probably be a second independence referendum in the next 5 years. Project fear won't wash, it will probably make the Scots more determined to vote for independence.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

If you look at the poll, you'll notice the main reason for the shift in opinion is because the young people reaching voting age are massively in favour of independence. The longer the referendum is delayed the more likely it is the Scots will vote for independence. There will probably be a second independence referendum in the next 5 years. Project fear won't wash, it will probably make the Scots more determined to vote for independence.
                Brexidiots like Ziggy don't see the irony between Scots wanting independence from Westminster and what they saw as the UK getting independence from the EU. He thinks it's Ok for Westminster to control the Scots against their will, but cried like a baby at the thought (however untruthful it was) that the EU was controlling the UK.

You can't use logic with idiots. Don't waste you breath.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Yeah and when those young people finally get a job and a mortgage they will realise that as worthy as liberal voting makes you feel, it doesn't actually pay the bills.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Yeah and when those young people finally get a job and a mortgage they will realise that as worthy as liberal voting makes you feel, it doesn't actually pay the bills.
                    The younger voters from the last referendum haven't changed their minds in spite of getting a job and a mortgage. That is also shown in the poll.

Independence is inevitable.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X