• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unilaterally changing the terms of the deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unilaterally changing the terms of the deal

Boris Johnson 'infuriated' as EU reneges on free trade deal

The Prime Minister believes Brussels has unilaterally been 'changing the terms' of the deal he agreed last year

Boris Johnson has become "privately infuriated" with what he sees as the EU's attempts to frustrate a comprehensive free trade deal, the Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

The Prime Minister believes Brussels has unilaterally been "changing the terms" of the deal he agreed last year, when both sides set out to work towards an ambitious and deep trade agreement.

As a result the UK is no longer wedded to a Canada-style agreement, in what would be a major hardening in the Government's Brexit strategy.

"Perhaps you think you are being treated unfairly?"

Almost certainly we are going to see a re-run of the Withdrawal agreement tactics, only even more extreme now Boris has had all opposition annihilated.

He will play the Domesday Machine game - making the EU believe he is so psychotic that he is absolutely ready to nuke EU-UK trade if he doesn't get what he wants. Obviously Dom Cummings thinks the EU will fold but the problem is i) you cannot be sure and ii) you cannot take any mitigation action, as that undermines your loony self-destruction threat.

Our best hope is the EU will pull forward the 'deadline' to mid-year (quoting all the bureaucratic processes that need to be followed prior to January). That makes it easier to have some preparation for hard Brexit but still means many more months where we still don't have any real idea what Brexit will mean.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

The UK holds all the cards. The EU will fold.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

The ball is in their court and the UK will have its cake and eat it
        Last edited by Eirikur; 2 February 2020, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

The Prime Minister believes Brussels has unilaterally been 'changing the terms' of the deal he agreed last year

Boris Johnson has become "privately infuriated" with what he sees as the EU's attempts to frustrate a comprehensive free trade deal, the Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

The Prime Minister believes Brussels has unilaterally been "changing the terms" of the deal he agreed last year, when both sides set out to work towards an ambitious and deep trade agreement.

As a result the UK is no longer wedded to a Canada-style agreement, in what would be a major hardening in the Government's Brexit strategy.

"Perhaps you think you are being treated unfairly?"

Maybe a quote from Darth Vader isn't really the best way to paint the EU as being the good guys?

Just saying like.

[emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Maybe a quote from Darth Vader isn't really the best way to paint the EU as being the good guys?

Just saying like.

[emoji849]

I’m guessing the spin has started already, and the Boris fans are lapping it up.

Let’s blame the EU for something that the Boris media speculate - they say Boris believes that something has happened - no evidence it has happened, and no evidence that Boris had made a trade deal.

But hey, if he can’t blame the EU, he’s going to end up having to accept responsibility for some things he’s done himself.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I guess now we'll see who needs whom more.

27 vs 1

I think I know the outcome of it. Suddenly chlorinated chicken never tasted so good. You thick morons deserve it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                Almost certainly we are going to see a re-run of the Withdrawal agreement tactics, only even more extreme now Boris has had all opposition annihilated.

He will play the Domesday Machine game - making the EU believe he is so psychotic that he is absolutely ready to nuke EU-UK trade if he doesn't get what he wants. Obviously Dom Cummings thinks the EU will fold but the problem is i) you cannot be sure and ii) you cannot take any mitigation action, as that undermines your loony self-destruction threat.

Our best hope is the EU will pull forward the 'deadline' to mid-year (quoting all the bureaucratic processes that need to be followed prior to January). That makes it easier to have some preparation for hard Brexit but still means many more months where we still don't have any real idea what Brexit will mean.
                It's like a game of chicken. Between a Leopard 2A7 and a Morris Marina.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  It's like a game of chicken.
                  It's like a war. Tens or hundreds of thousands of troops will get hurt but the generals are willing to pay the price.

We took on the might of the Third Reich and survived but it's not 1942 any more. We did well in the Second World War because we were still an empire. It wasn't Little England who prevailed. It was us plus soldiers from India, Czechoslovakia, Africa, Poland, New Zealand etc etc.

Half a league, half a league,
                  Half a league onward,
                  All in the valley of Death
                  Rode the Brexiteers.
                  “Forward, the Loony Boris Junta!
                  Charge for the self delusion!” he said.
                  Into the valley of Death
                  Rode the Brexiteers
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                    I guess now we'll see who needs whom more.

27 vs 1

I think I know the outcome of it. Suddenly chlorinated chicken never tasted so good. You thick morons deserve it all.
                    Don't be naïve. It's Germany and France against the UK. The other 25 are irrelevant, even the ones who have something of a working economy. Germany and France are scared they're going to have to cover the costs of their failed experiment all by themselves, since 40% of their income just went walkies.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X