• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1973 Nightmare (my experience of a Brexit)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Is that why the UK has left the EU to become more isolationist?
    no.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Is that why the UK has left the EU to become more isolationist?
      No right - so before we left the EU we could only really negotiate with the rest of the world as the 'EU'.

Where as now we can negotiate with the rest of the world without worrying about another 27 countries deciding whether or not we should.

So it's a bit like the opposite of isolationist isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Where as now we can negotiate with the rest of the world without worrying about another 27 countries deciding whether or not we should.
        Don't twist it, Original.

There was never any or not.

You and we both know that the EU deal with every country in the world. After we leave we will try and deal with exactly the same number of countries as we can now. There is not a single new opportunity to be found. The only difference is it will take many years to sort the whole thing out.
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          No right - so before we left the EU we could only really negotiate with the rest of the world as the 'EU'.

So it's a bit like the opposite of isolationist isn't it?
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Yes well, just think of all the things we can suddenly do that you couldn’t do under the dead hand of Brussels bureaucracy, like..., erm, well, like... well, you know, freed of these unelected bureaucrats, we can... like, ... just a minute, ... you know...
            I think it was straight bananas and a required warning on a packet of balloons to "keep out of reach of children". I'm really looking forward to seeng those new packages without those stupid warnings. And paying mobile phone roaming charges while on holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              NZ in the 70's comparable with UK in 2020? Not only are they different economies, in most ways including scale, the world is a different place, more open.
              Different place indeed, the global economy has changed dramatically on how business works. However if you look at the basics of how economies work, I have no doubt prices will go up for food and also medicine etc, also I think car plants will start closing unless this is a specific guarantees for each car maker, otherwise it makes no sense to stay in UK and transfer operations to EU free market. I predict there will be a ton of job losses unless there is a good EU deal.

Also what worries me is UK is Services that makes up the UK economy so that is troublesome. Financial Services makes up 23% of GDP if there is a failure here that is serious.

I'm staying positive though but the whole point of this is that it will no make us richer but poorer IMO, it's all about economy. I think in 20 years it could be back to normal but that's a big price to pay to the younger generation.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                I think it was straight bananas and a required warning on a packet of balloons to "keep out of reach of children". I'm really looking forward to seeng those new packages without those stupid warnings. And paying mobile phone roaming charges while on holiday.
                Yeah but no

Mobile roaming: What will happen to charges after Brexit? - BBC News

Comment

From the article

If nothing is agreed then mobile operators would be able to implement roaming charges after the end of the transition period.

But the government has passed legislation that would provide some safeguards to consumers:

A £45-a-month limit on the amount that customers could be charged for using mobile data abroad before having to opt into further use
                  Requirements for customers to be informed when they have reached 80% and 100% of their data allowances
                  In other words the government gives private companies permission to charge you to the limit. Bend over hun, you'll not be smiling then.

Travelled to Austria at the weekend. €37 credit on my phone before journey. After a number of facebook , youtube, browsing, e-mailing checking... my credit is now..... €36.65
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

From the article

In other words the government gives private companies permission to charge you to the limit. Bend over hun, you'll not be smiling then.

Travelled to Austria at the weekend. €37 credit on my phone before journey. After a number of facebook , youtube, browsing, e-mailing checking... my credit is now..... €36.65
                    So your provider doesn't trust you to pay a monthly bill.

No surprise there, then.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

From the article

You suggesting oPM didn't read the article again, and only looked at the headlines? Shirley not?!?
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X