• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU would be enthusiastic if Scotland applied to rejoin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    You are a lost cause, always running down Scotland.
    No, not lost. Still to be convinced. The fact that you cannot persuade me to your cause and resort to name-calling shows the paucity of your argument.

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    ...The job of the Yes movement is to persuade soft Noes to Yesses. It's working, as we can see with the polls. Brexit, when it actually happens, will turn it into a landslide
    You mean "lie"?

Aye, good luck with that.
    Last edited by wattaj; 4 February 2020, 11:37.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      *sighs* Corporation Tax receipts -- as Corporation Tax is not actually collected in Scotland -- is estimated as a based on analysis of purchases made in Scotland. The precise methodology is published on the Scottish Government's website somewhere AISTR.

Again, what's your point? Do you actually want the mechanics? Is that how you "win"?

You really are an odd, little man.
      I'm odd because I like to put a factual basis on my decisions ?

Waste of time clearly trying to have any sort of fact based discourse with you.

Away back to waving your flag and wanking your bulldog

Just for your info, Scottish Corp Tax receipts published in GERS come from a UK survey of 60 companies which is extrapolated to give a UK Corp Tax figure. A population based percentage of that is then attributed to Scotland. Or, in other words, they're pretty much made up. eighty odd percent of the figures quoted in GERS are estimates made up from estimates and extrapolations of estimates.

Should we move on to how UK infrastructure spending is divvied up for GERS ?
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        I'm odd because I like to put a factual basis on my decisions ?
        You really don't. But go with that delusion if it gets you through the day.

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        Just for your info, Scottish Corp Tax receipts published in GERS come from a UK survey of 60 companies which is extrapolated to give a UK Corp Tax figure. A population based percentage of that is then attributed to Scotland. Or, in other words, they're pretty much made up. eighty odd percent of the figures quoted in GERS are estimates made up from estimates and extrapolations of estimates.
        How very kind of you to underline the point that I originally made in response to your question: IT'S A ******* ESTIMATE.

The point being that it's an estimate made by people who do this for a living AND have their work peer reviewed by others that also do that for a living.

Is your position that Scotland is being cheated? REALLY?

And you think that I'm the ******.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          A poll of how many people?

Taken from which demographic?
          A straw poll conducted in the canteen at SNP HQ aka Fort Bumble!

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Scotland latest: Nicola Sturgeon left red faced as independent Scotland fail EU membership | UK | News | Express.co.uk

To be considered for membership to the EU, applicant states are required to have a deficit no higher than three percent. However, the latest figures show Scotland’s deficit is now just over seven percent and rising. This means even if Scotland were to become independent it would not be allowed to join the EU
            Oh dear..............
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

It is fun, but that's not entirely correct: Scotland's Deficit for EU Membership Fact Checked

Originally posted by Ferret Scotland
              However, new members can also negotiate transition periods allowing them more time to meet specific EU rules. There are also no formal timescale that countries must work to as part of the convergence process.
              With the inevitable caveat:

Originally posted by Ferret Scotland
              Therefore, a deficit of three per cent of GDP or lower is not an official requirement for entry to the EU. The EU could grant an independent Scotland a transition period that would allow the country to join the EU with an initial budget deficit of more than 3 per cent, then apply pressure to ensure Scotland works towards achieving it.
              My emphasis.

I believe that the EU is still *helping* Greece with its budget deficit for example.

However, the real question is "would they", and, perhaps more importantly "why would they"?
              Last edited by wattaj; 4 February 2020, 15:35. Reason: Clarity and speillng.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

I am pretty sure if Ms Sturgeon goes and sits on Uncle Donald Tusk's knee he will be able to sort it out.

But that would be more like Europe entering Scotland than the other way around

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  I am pretty sure if Ms Sturgeon goes and sits on Uncle Donald Tusk's knee he will be able to sort it out.

But that would be more like Europe entering Scotland than the other way around

Why would she do that, he's only an MEP? Maybe you sat on Farage's knee once...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Why would she do that, he's only an MEP? Maybe you sat on Farage's knee once...
                    He isn't you know. He's the President of the EPP, but that's an appointed position, not an elected one. As far as I can tell, he's never actually been elected to any position in the EU. He's clearly got lots of influential friends though, so that's nice...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      He isn't you know. He's the President of the EPP, but that's an appointed position, not an elected one. As far as I can tell, he's never actually been elected to any position in the EU. He's clearly got lots of influential friends though, so that's nice...
                      Do you know what the EPP is though? He was actually elected by 491 votes for and 37 against at the EPP congress in Croatia, it's a bit similar to the chairman of the Conservative Party
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X