• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU would be enthusiastic if Scotland applied to rejoin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot see any reason Scotland wouldn't be granted membership but they would surely NOT be allowed to "REjoin" as a separate country. They'd have to apply for membership like everyone else, or does the EU have the flexibility to fast-track membership should there be unanimous assent?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I cannot see any reason Scotland wouldn't be granted membership but they would surely NOT be allowed to "REjoin" as a separate country. They'd have to apply for membership like everyone else, or does the EU have the flexibility to fast-track membership should there be unanimous assent?
      I'm curious: why would the EU be interested in "fast-tracking" another country that would be a net recipient of EU aid? Particularly having lost a major net contributor so recently. Seems odd.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

What is it with the Scots? As a UK region they're not the biggest or best by any metric and would be hard pushed to compete with Yorkshire if both regions were Countries. The islands and areas outside of Glasgow just might secede if the SNP realised its dream and align themselves with the rest of the UK bringing much of the Scottish fishing and oil areas with them. We've literally bent over backwards to support Scotland providing them with an unfair share of both the economic and government pies and playing up a proud Scotland whilst simultaneously undermining a proud England through the vilification of English national emblems. How are the SNP going to manage a collapsing economy outside of the UK and certainly the EU (because its just weasel words being said at the moment by the EU to undermine UK solidarity as they know France and Spain can't afford to see Scotland being favoured). Could they afford to replace all the lost government and military jobs and the impact of a hard border? Current evidence shows that the SNP is totally inept in their ability to manage anything and only survive because of the largess of Westminster. The example of NZ given in another post is the most likely outcome for an independent Scotland. But in reality Scottish independence won't happen simply because there won't be a vote and even if there was it'd be rejected. So why can't the Scots nationalists simply get over themselves and help build a successful nation with the rest of us?

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          I'm curious: why would the EU be interested in "fast-tracking" another country that would be a net recipient of EU aid? Particularly having lost a major net contributor so recently. Seems odd.
          Only odd for those with short term views.

Scotland will make a fortune by leasing out sub pens for EUs strategic nuclear deterrent.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I'll ask again since you have failed to answer: "why would the EU 'fast-track' another country that will be a net recipient of EU aid?"

More plainly: what is their incentive?
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Scotland will make a fortune by leasing out sub pens for EUs strategic nuclear deterrent.
              Scotland -- the SNP more precisely -- are anti-nuclear. The slogan is "bairns not bombs" I believe.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                I'll ask again since you have failed to answer: "why would the EU 'fast-track' another country that will be a net recipient of EU aid?"

More plainly: what is their incentive?
                Pure spite I would think. To "teach the Brits a lesson".

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Pure spite I would think. To "teach the Brits a lesson".
                  Scotland currently runs a £12bn deficit. Precisely who is being taught the lesson once the EU have responsibility for the bailout taps?
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

What the EU is going to have a Navy?

Now why would a political body need a Navy?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      What the EU is going to have a Navy?

Now why would a political body need a Navy?
                      To protect their illegal fishing?
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X