• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU would be enthusiastic if Scotland applied to rejoin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Do you know what the EPP is though? He was actually elected by 491 votes for and 37 against at the EPP congress in Croatia, it's a bit similar to the chairman of the Conservative Party
    The EPP is an affiliation of various similarly-minded parties across EU member states*. You can't be an individual member (unlike the Conservative Party) so in that sense it's more like the TUC. And if the biggest electorate he has ever had to face is 528 (assuming the Congress is made up of individuals, rather than voting blocks) it's a pretty piss-poor show. I'm sure he'll get to return the favour when it comes to nominating the next Commissioner for something or other. The UK has issues with democratic process, but the EU takes it to a whole new level.

*I think it was you who actually explained that, many moons ago, so thanks for that.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

RE: Tusk.

I quite like him. He seems to be an honest broker... so much so that Poland -- his own country -- tried to get him replaced.

Fair play to the lad.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        He isn't you know. He's the President of the EPP, but that's an appointed position, not an elected one. As far as I can tell, he's never actually been elected to any position in the EU. He's clearly got lots of influential friends though, so that's nice...
        Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Do you know what the EPP is though? He was actually elected by 491 votes for and 37 against at the EPP congress in Croatia, it's a bit similar to the chairman of the Conservative Party
        So clearly darmy you are refusing to read between the lines.

He is in a position of power and can influence many many things but in reality nobody has really had a vote as to whether they want that or not.

Many people in the UK felt the whole of the EU was just a bunch of sycophantic, back slapping slime balls whose sole interest was lining their own pockets and who could not give a fook about any other human being - and so we voted to leave.

Obviously if the rest of the countries in the EU see this sort of things as a benefit then they can continue as they are.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          So clearly darmy you are refusing to read between the lines.

He is in a position of power and can influence many many things but in reality nobody has really had a vote as to whether they want that or not.

Many people in the UK felt the whole of the EU was just a bunch of sycophantic, back slapping slime balls whose sole interest was lining their own pockets and who could not give a fook about any other human being - and so we voted to leave.

Obviously if the rest of the countries in the EU see this sort of things as a benefit then they can continue as they are.
          As someone else has pointed out, numpty...

Originally posted by Rupert Murdoch
          'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.'
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
          X