• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit dividend;

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    So assuming the EU insist on this then we would reciprocate and require all airline staff to have a visa to work in the UK - at I would imagine the exact same cost.

And so yes potentially you would see an increase in air fares - how much does lets say 1000 'visa's' at £160 quid a pop cost

well it's clearly £160,000

Now Ryanair's profits for 2019 were £880 million so this equates to 0.018% of profit.

Or lets look at it by passenger numbers - in 2019 142 million people travelled by Ryanair so lets say that visa cost is spread across all air fares - that means we would pay an extra 0.001 p per passenger.

Now let's start to assume that actually air crew do not go ground side when they land - in this instance as they are not working in the country (as they are not passing border control) then this issue starts to go away a bit.

Then say they do go ground side but do not actually work - e.g. the only work they do is when they are in the plane and airside all they need is a visitors visa or whatever rules the EU wants to put in place to reduce it's tourist income.

So let's then talk about ground side crew - e.g. those at check in - normally they are people native to the country you are flying - I rarely see a UK check in crew in France for example.

So when you start to look at it it's not really a problem unless the EU decide to make it one - and in doing so cause themselves more problems.
    The problem is not with the EU, the problem is with the ignoramuses who wanted Brexit
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      The problem is not with the EU, the problem is with the ignoramuses who wanted Brexit
      Who are not as dangerous as the people who don't believe in democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        I can just imagine you all sat around a table, jowls wobbling in outrage, faces going redder by the minute, spittle flying from your lips as you scream 'Nein, Nein, Nein' whilst banging your desk with your fist.

We are in a transition period, we now get to re-make all the rules for the good of everyone - except there are clearly some people who want to make it worse just to prove a point.

Look I found a video

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Who are not as dangerous as the people who don't believe in democracy.

You mean the Tory party?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

, but British citizens would soon not qualify to work as cabin crew
            Jesus, Original, why oh why did you vote in the referendum when you can't even read two sentences without missing the point completely?
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              You mean the Tory party?
              No. The Surrey In-breds.

Comment

So assuming the EU insist on this then we would reciprocate and require all airline staff to have a visa to work in the UK - at I would imagine the exact same cost.

And so yes potentially you would see an increase in air fares - how much does lets say 1000 'visa's' at £160 quid a pop cost

well it's clearly £160,000
                Not all Ryanair flights take off or land in the UK.

So based on your figures, Ryanair have two options for the majority of their flights, which are within the EU:
                Option 1: Business spends £160,000.
                Option 2: Business doesn’t spend £160,000

Put your business head on for a minute, rather than your “The EU is to blame for everything” one... Which of the two options above makes better business sense?

And there’s a slight possibility that the UK will manage to negotiate and implement something in the next 11 months - highly unlikely given the UK Govt’s track record on negotiating, but it’s still a slight possibility.
                Do Ryanair:
                1. Bury their heads in the sand and hope that a deal will be negotiated
                2. Prepare for a different scenario which already has a really simple solution.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Not just Ryanair but it seems most airlines and other companies are starting to do this
                  My sister is an airline pilot and my brother is an international commentator - both travel extensively in Europe and beyond and would be a bit screwed if we didn't have an Irish mother, which automatically makes us Irish citizens and eligible for an Irish passport. Many others are not quite so fortunate

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    Jesus, Original, why oh why did you vote in the referendum when you can't even read two sentences without missing the point completely?
                    Are your jowls wobbling?

Face getting red?

The point i was really trying to make is that a number of people on here are clearly desperate to thrown up barriers now that the UK is in transition from the EU.

That's nice and all but like when you work on projects there are always some people who claim it cannot be done and the old way is the only way.

They are generally the ones who end up looking for alternative employment at the end of the project...

Now let me ask you one last question - do you think Ryanair are doing this for any other reason than to take advantage of cheap Eastern European labour?

Comment

Are your jowls wobbling?

Face getting red?

The point i was really trying to make is that a number of people on here are clearly desperate to thrown up barriers
                      Yes, those are the people who voted to leave the EU.

Now, what about those of us who don’t want barriers?

Comment

Working...
                      X