• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the UK still protect Europe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Still proved you were spouting crap, again.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Still proved you were spouting crap, again.
      not really, the bases will be gone by the end of the year

I'm alright Jack

Comment

not really, the bases will be gone by the end of the year

The troops are gone. The weaponry and equipment is stockpiled in Germany.

The theory being that they can deploy rapidly from bases in the UK, for example Catterick, if required.

Is that a good idea and will it work? I'm not a military strategist and so I don't know. I do know that if it's needed and doesn't work then we'll all be sorry.

But again you are just avoiding answering the simple YES/NO question that I asked you. Do you think countries should meet their commitments?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
          The troops are gone. The weaponry and equipment is stockpiled in Germany.

The theory being that they can deploy rapidly from bases in the UK, for example Catterick, if required.

Is that a good idea and will it work? I'm not a military strategist and so I don't know. I do know that if it's needed and doesn't work then we'll all be sorry.

But again you are just avoiding answering the simple YES/NO question that I asked you. Do you think countries should meet their commitments?
          No, because it means I don't have to pay as much tax and the UK won't withdraw its weaponry.

Boris is planning to increase taxes, so there will be plenty of money available.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

WW2 ended in 1945.

Gibralter is part of Britain, and so is a bit of Cyprus.
            I'm gonna have to get pedantic.

WWII didn't end until Germany was re-unified in the 80s. Up till that point there was no Germany to make peace with (that was on QI so must be true).

Britain is an island, that encompasses Englad, Wales and (most of) Scotland.
            I think you mean Gib/Cyrpus is part of the UK.

Not quite. Giobraltar is a British Overseas Territory. This is different to being part ofg the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
            Cyprus is considerably more complex but most defintely not British.
            Last edited by Lance; 9 February 2020, 11:18.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              I'm gonna have to get pedantic.

WWII didn't end until Germany was re-unified in the 80s. Up till that point there was no Germany to make peace with (that was on QI so must be true).

Britain is an island, that encompasses Englad, Wales and (most of) Scotland.
              I think you mean Gib/Cyrpus is part of the UK.

Not quite. Giobraltar is a British Overseas Territory. This is different to being part ofg the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
              Cyprus is considerably more complex but most defintely not British.
              The bases in Cyprus are on British sovereign territory. It was a condition for Cyprus to get its independence from Britain.

Cyprus–United Kingdom relations - Wikipedia

The two countries now enjoy warm relations, however the continuing British sovereignty of the Akrotiri and Dhekelia Sovereign Base Areas has continued to divide Cypriots.
              The British aren't there to defend Europe, they're there for British interests.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
              X