So Hard Brexit It Is! So Hard Brexit It Is! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 31 to 40 of 43
  1. #31

    Godlike

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    9,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    I'm stock piling now - best to have 3 weeks of food in place if the coronavirus kicks off in the UK...
    You're a panda, so you're fooked before we even start on the humans...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  2. #32

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    24,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    You're a panda, so you're fooked before we even start on the humans...
    Look I just need a lot of bamboo - best to get supplies in while I still can...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
    If you eat a pallet full of baked beans you won't need a shotgun to keep people away
    Defence in depth, old chap.

    Belt & braces.

    You know it makes sense.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

  4. #34

    Godlike

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    9,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Look I just need a lot of bamboo - best to get supplies in while I still can...
    NLyUK needs plenty for her "gentle chastisement" business, so I'd get in quick if I were you.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  5. #35

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Bean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    From CityAM Monday: Sir Charlie Bean, former deputy governor of the Bank and one of Britain’s most respected economists, says ... Brexit is “small beer” compared to the UK productivity slowdown ….

    SNIP
    Christ, keep that under your hat - you've seen how much excreta is lining the usual suspects collective pants already, imagine if you told them "Brexit is small beer, compared to this...." - they'd have a full-blown mental breakdown, much worse than their current meltdown(s)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

  6. #36

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Cirrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Rural Rutland
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    He's barking up the wrong tree. Brexit is somewhat like the UK/USA productivity problem - it is causing slowly declining living standards for the majority of the population. You could question whether the hard Brexit we are now facing won't actually be more disruptive but that's not the big issue.

    The big issue is 17 million people voted in a completely stupid way, contrary to all the evidence presented unambiguously to them. That ticking time bomb was always frightening. It still is, but of course it has already created a massive explosion - the equally stupid voting in of the Boris/Cummings Junta. Goodness know what damage that is going to cause. So Sir Charlie really needed to comment on how secondary Brexit effects compare to productivity stagnation.

    As an aside: productivity stagnation has been shown to be caused by a severe drop in tangible investment (in the UK and USA) from somewhere around 2000. The only measures that will correct this are exactly contrary to the right-wing, low-tax, free-market, mantras traditionally spewed out by the Tories and particularly so with the current encumbents of 10 Downing Street.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

  7. #37

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    10,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    He's barking up the wrong tree. Brexit is somewhat like the UK/USA productivity problem - it is causing slowly declining living standards for the majority of the population. You could question whether the hard Brexit we are now facing won't actually be more disruptive but that's not the big issue.

    The big issue is 17 million people voted in a completely stupid way, contrary to all the evidence presented unambiguously to them. That ticking time bomb was always frightening. It still is, but of course it has already created a massive explosion - the equally stupid voting in of the Boris/Cummings Junta. Goodness know what damage that is going to cause. So Sir Charlie really needed to comment on how secondary Brexit effects compare to productivity stagnation.

    As an aside: productivity stagnation has been shown to be caused by a severe drop in tangible investment (in the UK and USA) from somewhere around 2000. The only measures that will correct this are exactly contrary to the right-wing, low-tax, free-market, mantras traditionally spewed out by the Tories and particularly so with the current encumbents of 10 Downing Street.
    Voted in a stupid way IN YOUR OPINION.

    EVERYONE voted in a stupid way in my opinion. There was not enough evidence presented to the public in a meaningful way. Brexiters were unfairly never warned that brown people aren't from eastern Europe and Remainers were never warned that they'd still be allowed to cross the channel after Brexit.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  8. #38

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    EVERYONE voted in a stupid way in my opinion.
    Briliant.
    <-2 5m->

  9. #39

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Cirrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Rural Rutland
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    There was not enough evidence presented to the public.
    Well that's an interesting perspective. Sentient voters would know there was nothing particularly wrong with the EU relationship. They would have also realised that nobody, but nobody, was coming up with a single advantage in leaving. They would have guessed any trade opportunities with anyone anywhere had already been facilitated for decades. We wouldn't be able to find any better deals. And whatever had stopped us taking advantages, would continue to do so. So sentient people were not deflected by lack of evidence. In fact it only strengthened their understanding that this was just a gigantic con.

    Presumably by your argument the Brexiteers didn't have that type of reasoning capability. They were confused by the lack of information so they took a random bet.

    Don't you see the danger here?? You're in a car accident. They whisk you into the operating theatre. The surgeon unfortunately is a Brexiteer (Homo Brexitis). He doesn't quite know what's wrong so he goes "OK let's have his legs off!"

    All I'm going to say is "Drive carefully..."
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

  10. #40

    Double Godlike!

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    10,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Voted in a stupid way IN YOUR OPINION.

    EVERYONE voted in a stupid way in my opinion. There was not enough evidence presented to the public in a meaningful way. Brexiters were unfairly never warned that brown people aren't from eastern Europe and Remainers were never warned that they'd still be allowed to cross the channel after Brexit.
    I am fu$$!!g well experienced in crossing the English Channel and driving in Europe prior to the EU and the Common Market. I needed 2 x IDPs, a carnet for the car, a petrol book for Italy and Green Card Insurance.
    When in the EU I can decide to get in the car and drive to Europe without restrictions and even get a job and work upon arrival. All that has now gone thanks to idiots like you
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •