• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

‘Fighting like ferrets in a bag’ as EU tries to plug Brexit cash hole

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘Fighting like ferrets in a bag’ as EU tries to plug Brexit cash hole

"Presidents, prime ministers and chancellors across Europe will pack their bags later this week in preparation for a long weekend in Brussels. They won’t, however, be taking in the baroque majesty of the Grand Place or savouring the local culinary treats. Instead, they will be preparing for that most infamous of events, a “four shirter”, to use the clothes-packing gauge adopted by male diplomats to measure the length and horror of EU leaders’ summits in the Belgian capital. The thorny subject this time around? Money. And the problem? Britain.

The UK’s withdrawal from the European Union has left a huge €75bn (£62bn) hole in the bloc’s budget for the next seven years, 2021 to 2027. “And now we are fighting like ferrets in a sack,” said one EU diplomat with a sigh."

‘Fighting like ferrets in a bag’ as EU tries to plug Brexit cash hole | World news | The Guardian

Source of the article: former MEP Nigel F.

So about 1/2 the cost of a small train project to cut 20 mins from London to Birmingham or 4 times the cost to refurbish HOC

Small beer

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Must be fake - that works out at £170million a week, surely the “facts” are that it is £350million a week and growing
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Must be fake - that works out at £170million a week, surely the “facts” are that it is £350million a week and growing
        Nah, that Sterling doubling in value since Brexit

Comment

Here's a Janet and John explanation.

Imagine you have 350 million apples, you give them to Eugene for his apple collective along with all the other members of Eugene's Collective. Eugene then decides to give you 180 million apples for your needs and distributes the other 170 million apples to the other guys. Now, you decide to stop giving Eugene 350 million apples because you no longer wish to be a member of his collective, unfortunately Eugene still needs 170 million apples for the other members of the collective. Do you see Eugene's problem?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Imagine you have 350 million apples, you give them to Eugene for his apple collective along with all the other members of Eugene's Collective. Eugene then decides to give you 180 million apples for your needs and distributes the other 170 million apples to the other guys. Now, you decide to stop giving Eugene 350 million apples because you no longer wish to be a member of his collective, unfortunately Eugene still needs 170 million apples for the other members of the collective. Do you see Eugene's problem?
            I see your problem. You're one apple short of a bushel.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              I see your problem. You're one apple short of a bushel.
              Too complicated for you? I apologise.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Janet and John deal in facts.

Imagine you have 100 apples and you give 3 to Eugene. You've still got 97 left for yourself.
                Eugene then gives you 1.5 apples back.
                You've got 98.5 apples out of your 100.

As a result of the 1.5 apples you have "given away", you get a nurse to help you in your hospital and people to pick the apples for you.

Now you decide you don't want to "give away" 1.5 apples, because you think 1.5 apples is what prevents you from being great.

If you're not great at 98.5% with help from others, you're not going to be great when you're all alone with your extra 1.5%.

...Poor John.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Janet and John deal in facts.

Imagine you have 100 apples and you give 3 to Eugene. You've still got 97 left for yourself.
                  Eugene then gives you 1.5 apples back.
                  You've got 98.5 apples out of your 100.

As a result of the 1.5 apples you have "given away", you get a nurse to help you in your hospital and people to pick the apples for you.

Now you decide you don't want to "give away" 1.5 apples, because you think 1.5 apples is what prevents you from being great.

If you're not great at 98.5% with help from others, you're not going to be great when you're all alone with your extra 1.5%.

...Poor John.
                  Only it looks more likely it's going to be poor Fritz, doesn't it?

Comment

Too complicated for you? I apologise.
                    I'm pretty sure with my maths degree, MBA and accountancy qualification I can understand what you have posted, and why it's a pile of poo.

Next
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X