• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Make Britain great again, let's cull the BBC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Are you saying Mordac got the contract over MF?
    Yep, it was a straight choice between two middle aged white males. The one-legged mixed-race lesbian pygmy woman had a face like fooking thunder, I can tell you...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      Will they? You are familiar with lots of BBC workers?

Or have you been hearing some bollox from somebody like unixman and choosing to just swallow it hook, line and sinker...
      "For example, an Evening Standard article based on an interview with a former BBC employee, describes the BBC as a “Nest of Lefties promoting a progressive agenda and political correctness.”
      -Source: BBC - Media Bias/Fact Check
      Interview article: What is the loneliest job in Britain? Being a Tory at the BBC | London Evening Standard

The audience?
      A 2014 Pew Research Survey found that 60% of BBC’s audience is consistently or mostly liberal, 26% Mixed and 13% consistently or mostly conservative. This indicates that BBC News is preferred by a more liberal audience.
      -Source: BBC - Media Bias/Fact Check
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

From the Beeb's current list of programming, I watch:

Mastermind, Only Connect, University Challenge, Pointless, QI, Live at the Apollo, Coast, Doctor Who
        Bits of football here and there, rugby, snooker couple of other sports when they're on.

Not sure that's worth the licence fee to be fair.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Doctor Who & the teletext news pages.

And that's it.

So that's about £15 per ep of Doctor Who.

It'd be cheaper to buy the dvds.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Doctor Who & the teletext news pages.

And that's it.

So that's about £15 per ep of Doctor Who.

It'd be cheaper to buy the dvds.
            Dr.Who all eps on Britbox now, I see.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Is it a great loss?

Maybe it will get rid of those people who think they are clever but in reality are just 'woke as ****' (which is not a compliment by the way)

Criticism of the BBC - Wikipedia

So no it will not make the UK into an idiocracy.

Idiots.

What does 'woke' mean in this context? I seem to be able to exchange this word for 'prescient' often and it still works.

Doesn't it really just mean trying to tear someone down in an argument/discussion as they raise a valid point related to individual rights, something you right wingers are apparently fond of with your pro-individualism?

For example: many members' clubs in London allow only male joiners. Some boast "females welcome too", as they're only just now entering the 1950's for some reason in terms of personal identification. It has been commented that "what of trans? What of non-binary? What of all the other myriad people who are present in society?"

Seems a valid question to me: why are we still separating people base on physical gender for something such as a members' club? Nobody really cares what orientation or identification anybody has these days - rights are rights. However people who raise such issues now are called 'woke' and ridiculed; seems extremely unfair when they mostly seem to be in the right. The objective of a wine club, for example, is to taste new wines and enjoy that with similar minded people. Some only specify allowing men in, followed by - more recently - women. What's wrong with trans people asking the club to remove the gender pronouns entirely and just saying 'people welcome'.

Makes sense to me; I don't think much is 'woke', I think people just have no other avenue of criticising a valid and often correct opinion.

As to your latter point; the US media is horrendous and creates two football camps, neither the two shall meet. Paid media is partisan media, from gun ownership through to the individual rights of everybody. Having an independent media is of huge benefit, probably the reason most European countries fund them in their respective countries.

The slights of the BBC aren't against one team, they're against all sides. It's just that recently the right wingers don't seem to accept criticism of their cause easily and would prefer to banish independent media. Christ knows why. Oh wait, it's to further their cause; great.

If Labour had got in power and were proposing this you'd be all over them like a rash but instead your hypocrisy is acceptable as you've linked to a wikipedia article.

What an absolute fanny.
              Last edited by rogerfederer; 24 February 2020, 20:49.

Comment

Comment

One of the biggest advantages the BBC has over other channels is the ability to broadcast movies. Without breaks every 15 minutes and in HD.

Do they take advantage of that ? Of course not. In the next 7 days there are 4 movies scheduled on BBC2 and just 2 on BBC 1:

bbc1 - L.A Confidential on Saturday, Shrek 2 on Sunday
                  bbc2 - The big Sick on Friday and on Sunday: Summertime, Scott of the Antarctic and Manchester by the Sea.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    One of the biggest advantages the BBC has over other channels is the ability to broadcast movies. Without breaks every 15 minutes and in HD.

Do they take advantage of that ? Of course not. In the next 7 days there are 4 movies scheduled on BBC2 and just 2 on BBC 1:

bbc1 - L.A Confidential on Saturday, Shrek 2 on Sunday
                    bbc2 - The big Sick on Friday and on Sunday: Summertime, Scott of the Antarctic and Manchester by the Sea.
                    But there will be 347 adverts for Radio1, so that's nice...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Yes the adverts on the BBC are a major turn off. I don't want to just bash the Beeb, and Question time was good this week, and iPlayer is great, but the endless adverts and self-aggrandizing "idents" on both radio and TV are a mistake. Auntie nullifies her own biggest competitive advantage.

Comment

Working...
                      X