Brexit: losing the Marbles Brexit: losing the Marbles
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    52,608

    Default Brexit: losing the Marbles

    Fears raised that EU will back Greece over return of Elgin Marbles in Brexit trade talks

    The European Union added an “Elgin Marbles clause” into its demands for a post-Brexit trade deal with Britain on Tuesday, which raised fears it will bolster Greek calls for the repatriation of the works to Athens.

    The demand was revealed in Brussels on Tuesday after inter-governmental talks by EU countries over the bloc’s mandate for upcoming trade negotiations with Britain in March.

    The latest draft, a copy of which was obtained by The Telegraph, reads, “The Parties should, consistently with Union rules, address issues relating to the return or restitution of unlawfully removed cultural objects to their countries of origin".

    Fears raised that EU will back Greece over return of Elgin Marbles in Brexit trade talks

  2. #2

    Godlike

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    9,504

    Default

    We'll send them back by Parcelforce, so there's no chance of them ending up in Athens...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    We'll send them back by Parcelforce, so there's no chance of them ending up in Athens...
    Send 'em back as a pile of sand!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Fears raised that EU will back Greece over return of Elgin Marbles in Brexit trade talks

    The European Union added an “Elgin Marbles clause” into its demands for a post-Brexit trade deal with Britain on Tuesday, which raised fears it will bolster Greek calls for the repatriation of the works to Athens.

    The demand was revealed in Brussels on Tuesday after inter-governmental talks by EU countries over the bloc’s mandate for upcoming trade negotiations with Britain in March.

    The latest draft, a copy of which was obtained by The Telegraph, reads, “The Parties should, consistently with Union rules, address issues relating to the return or restitution of unlawfully removed cultural objects to their countries of origin".

    Fears raised that EU will back Greece over return of Elgin Marbles in Brexit trade talks
    Next they'll be after an 'effin' shrubbery!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

  5. #5

    Ducklike

    Platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the pub
    Posts
    9,083

    Default

    Why are there "fears" ?

    Who cares? Just give them back.

  6. #6

    Fingers like lightning

    wattaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    Who cares? Just give them back.
    What? It's hardly "taking back control" if we've to hand back all the goodies that we've looted from around the World.
    ---

    Former member of IPSE.


    ---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

    ---

  7. #7

    Double Godlike!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    12,780

    Default

    Interesting read...

    Elgin Marbles - Wikipedia

    Main challenge against it is

    "A range of different arguments have been presented by scholars,[53] British political leaders and British Museum spokespersons over the years in defence of retention of the Elgin Marbles by the British Museum. The main points include:

    the assertion that fulfilling all restitution claims would empty most of the world's great museums – this has also caused concerns among other European and American museums, with one potential target being the famous bust of Nefertiti in Berlin's Neues Museum; in addition, portions of Parthenon marbles are kept by many other European museums.[30] Advocates of the British Museum's position also point out that the Marbles in Britain receive about 6 million visitors per year as opposed to 1.5 million visitors to the Acropolis Museum. The removal of the Marbles to Greece would therefore, they argue, significantly reduce the number of people who have the opportunity to visit the Marbles.[100] The English Romantic poet John Keats, and the French sculptor Auguste Rodin, are notable examples of visitors to the Elgin Marbles after their removal to England who subsequently produced famous work inspired by them.[101][102]"

  8. #8

    Fingers like lightning

    wattaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Interesting read...

    Elgin Marbles - Wikipedia

    Main challenge against it is

    "A range of different arguments have been presented by scholars,[53] British political leaders and British Museum spokespersons over the years in defence of retention of the Elgin Marbles by the British Museum. The main points include:

    the assertion that fulfilling all restitution claims would empty most of the world's great museums – this has also caused concerns among other European and American museums, with one potential target being the famous bust of Nefertiti in Berlin's Neues Museum; in addition, portions of Parthenon marbles are kept by many other European museums.[30] Advocates of the British Museum's position also point out that the Marbles in Britain receive about 6 million visitors per year as opposed to 1.5 million visitors to the Acropolis Museum. The removal of the Marbles to Greece would therefore, they argue, significantly reduce the number of people who have the opportunity to visit the Marbles.[100] The English Romantic poet John Keats, and the French sculptor Auguste Rodin, are notable examples of visitors to the Elgin Marbles after their removal to England who subsequently produced famous work inspired by them.[101][102]"
    Wasn't there also an argument around the level of pollution in Greece that would have a detrimental impact on the marbles?

    I might be misremembering that.
    Last edited by wattaj; 19th February 2020 at 10:36.
    ---

    Former member of IPSE.


    ---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

    ---

  9. #9

    Godlike

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,766

    Default

    If Greece can afford to pick them up and transport them, then they can have them! As long as they also pick up all the other bits scattered about the globe. We removed them at our expense so they can collect them at theirs!

  10. #10

    Double Godlike!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    12,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    If Greece can afford to pick them up and transport them, then they can have them! As long as they also pick up all the other bits scattered about the globe. We removed them at our expense so they can collect them at theirs!
    Indeed.

    Seems that the EU are selectively saying the UK need to give something back purely as part of a trade deal and nothing really to do with the fact that Greece want their marbles back...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •