• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keep music British!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking with some well-known artists and friends in the music industry, freedom of movement is a very big issue. Brexit is bad for the UK music industry and bad for Europe

https://twitter.com/ISM_music
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      So in addition to having some savings;
      a 2 person group has to sell 50 tickets @ £10 each (and much lower with higher seat numbers)
      a 4 person group has to sell 50 tickets @ £15 each ( " " )

and THAT assumes that the dolts only come over for 1 gig, which would be bloody ludicrous, given they would have to pay for a visa... would you go to Aus/NZ/SA for 1 gig? - the same logic applies to UK after Brexit, IF prices are as stated.

Does the EU allow for deductions of taxes, for these visa expenses in other countries?

If they have a manager, isn't he supposed to arrange and pay for all of this stuff, with him reclaiming off them at the end?

Don't we have enough buskers in the UK already?
      You assume that a band gets 100% of the cost of ticket sales?

It's got nothing to do with the EU and everything to do with the UK government imposing new restrictions on musicians, at a cost to musicians.

OPM said earlier about all the local bands playing in his pub, but still hasn't replied with how much they get paid for it.

How much do you think a band gets paid for playing a gig?

If they do 10 gigs in a country, how much does the travel cost?
      And the accommodation?
      And the roadies?
      And the sound & light?
      And the promotion?
      And the venue?
      And the ticket sales?
      And the management?

Until you're a very successful global brand, then touring is not about making money. It's about promoting your music.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        You assume that a band gets 100% of the cost of ticket sales?

It's got nothing to do with the EU and everything to do with the UK government imposing new restrictions on musicians, at a cost to musicians.

OPM said earlier about all the local bands playing in his pub, but still hasn't replied with how much they get paid for it.

How much do you think a band gets paid for playing a gig?

If they do 10 gigs in a country, how much does the travel cost?
        And the accommodation?
        And the roadies?
        And the sound & light?
        And the promotion?
        And the venue?
        And the ticket sales?
        And the management?

Until you're a very successful global brand, then touring is not about making money. It's about promoting your music.
        How big do you envisage these bands are if they've got management, roadies, their own sound engineer, etc.?
        What size venus are you talking about?
        Are they supporting or the main band?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
          What has a Russian band to do with the EU or Britain for that matter? They always needed (and hopefully Russians will always need) visa for both Schengen and the UK
          stop talking sense Brexit will spoil everything! Get with project "we're outa here!"
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            How big do you envisage these bands are if they've got management, roadies, their own sound engineer, etc.?
            What size venus are you talking about?
            Are they supporting or the main band?
            Even if they haven't got roadies, they will have someone who manages their trip, they will need a sound system and will need someone on the desk at each venue.
            They will need a way of transporting themselves and their equipment from one venue to another.

Doesn't matter what country they are from, nor does it matter the size of the venue - a band doesn't just turn up and everything is there, ready and working.
            Someone needs to organise the booking, organise the equipment, bring it along, set it up, sound check it, and then make changes during the gig.
            With bigger venues, they may need several people for that.

Comment

Well if the Cheeky Girls never do another tour I will admit Brexit was a mistake.....

Although it seems the Cheeky Girls formed in 2002 and Romania only joined the EU in 2007 so not sure if this is a good barometer or not...

Comment

Even if they haven't got roadies, they will have someone who manages their trip, they will need a sound system and will need someone on the desk at each venue.
                They will need a way of transporting themselves and their equipment from one venue to another.

Doesn't matter what country they are from, nor does it matter the size of the venue - a band doesn't just turn up and everything is there, ready and working.
                Someone needs to organise the booking, organise the equipment, bring it along, set it up, sound check it, and then make changes during the gig.
                Like everything else that they're not interested in, like farming, manufacturing and business, brexiters don't give a f**k about small time touring musos. You're wasting your breath.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Well if the Cheeky Girls never do another tour I will admit Brexit was a mistake.....

Although it seems the Cheeky Girls formed in 2002 and Romania only joined the EU in 2007 so not sure if this is a good barometer or not...
                  And they both live in the UK, so maybe they'll be like all the other local bands that get paid £100,000 per gig to play at your local.

Comment

I know how it works, thanks, I've worked at LiveNation and done some DJ gigs in the past.

Some places already have their own sound and lighting, others don't. Similarly some bands prefer their own amps because they've invested in them.

The size of the venue, i.e. expected crowd, does matter - it usually dictates how big the band are barring intimate one-offs from bigger acts. My friend's band have been going three years and still do their own sound checks, while his friend's band have been going six years and have a sound engineer that goes with them to newer places. It's certainly not a one size fits all grumble is my point. Having a couple of roadies, a sound engineer and anything more plush than a second hand transit van puts them up a grade from most; having a sound engineer and a couple of roadies in itself is an achievement for some!

Similarly I've chatted to DJs who are at the top end of the game and one of them occasionally gets away with taking a few usb sticks when he's doing the last set of the night because the kit is already there as part of a multi-spot evening. Most of a DJ like that's effort is mixing the set before the event and then looking like they're actually doing something on the night bar dicking around with the equalizer to tweak their set for the kit that it's playing on.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      I know how it works, thanks, I've worked at LiveNation and done some DJ gigs in the past.

Some places already have their own sound and lighting, others don't. Similarly some bands prefer their own amps because they've invested in them.
                      I'm not talking about disk jockeys. I'm talking about musicians and bands.

How many of the bands you know where the guitarist is happy to use someone else's amp, effects rack, or even guitar?
                      How many singers in gigging bands are happy to use any old microphone?

If you go to DJ somewhere, do you bring your own headphones and music, or do you rely on the venue to have everything you need?

Maybe I'm not you, but when I'm going to play at a gig, my car will have:
                      2-4 guitars (depending on the set list - Pensa, Ibanez, Taylor, Fender)
                      1-2 amps (Lacey, Ashdown)
                      Mic stand (It's got a tablet holder and pint holder)
                      Mic (Sennheiser e935)
                      Cables, switches, effects board, stands, etc.
                      That's just for me. Never mind whether we're bringing our PA, or using someone else's.

That lot takes up a bit more room and requires more setting up than a USB stick.

Comment

Working...
                      X