• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keep music British!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I'm not talking about disk jockeys. I'm talking about musicians and bands.

How many of the bands you know where the guitarist is happy to use someone else's amp, effects rack, or even guitar?
    How many singers in gigging bands are happy to use any old microphone?

If you go to DJ somewhere, do you bring your own headphones and music, or do you rely on the venue to have everything you need?

Maybe I'm not you, but when I'm going to play at a gig, my car will have:
    2-4 guitars (depending on the set list - Pensa, Ibanez, Taylor, Fender)
    1-2 amps (Lacey, Ashdown)
    Mic stand (It's got a tablet holder and pint holder)
    Mic (Sennheiser e935)
    Cables, switches, effects board, stands, etc.
    That's just for me. Never mind whether we're bringing our PA, or using someone else's.

That lot takes up a bit more room and requires more setting up than a USB stick.

All the gear, no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      All the gear, no idea.

True, dat. Except that's not all the gear, just the stuff that might make it to gigs.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm not talking about disk jockeys. I'm talking about musicians and bands.

SNIP

Maybe I'm not you, but when I'm going to play at a gig, my car will have:

SNIP

That's just for me. Never mind whether we're bringing our PA, or using someone else's.

That lot takes up a bit more room and requires more setting up than a USB stick.
        Aha, can see why my post triggered you so much now - you're personally invested and therefore you 'care'...just like brave Sir Keir

During our inclusion in the EU freedom of movement rules (and since, "Until you're a very successful global brand, then touring is not about making money");
        1. How many times have you personally toured Europe, to promote your music?

If the answer is >1;
        2. How many gigs in each country did you do?
        3. What was the highest compensation you received for 1 gig?
        4. What was the lowest?
        5. How many 'staff' did you take?
        6. Were they paid?
        7. Do you have savings of over £1000, given all the equipment you own?
        8. Would you be happy to pay £244 for a visa for touring Europe?
        9. Can you deduct the expenses of touring from money earned?

Or did you just stick to the UK, until you were/are a very successful global brand?
        Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
          Aha, can see why my post triggered you so much now - you're personally invested and therefore you 'care'...just like brave Sir Keir

During our inclusion in the EU freedom of movement rules (and since, "Until you're a very successful global brand, then touring is not about making money");
          1. How many times have you personally toured Europe, to promote your music?

If the answer is >1;
          2. How many gigs in each country did you do?
          3. What was the highest compensation you received for 1 gig?
          4. What was the lowest?
          5. How many 'staff' did you take?
          6. Were they paid?
          7. Do you have savings of over £1000, given all the equipment you own?
          8. Would you be happy to pay £244 for a visa for touring Europe?
          9. Can you deduct the expenses of touring from money earned?

Or did you just stick to the UK, until you were/are a very successful global brand?
          Just face up to it, Brexit is tulip
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

<SNIP to ruin context>

Nice spin as ever, take a different discussion and try to claim it's something else. I was replying to LondonManc, not you.

It's nothing to do with the EU, it's nothing to do with me.
            But some on here seem to think that the UK unilaterally deciding to impose new charges and regulations on musicians from all round the world will have zero impact.
            You mentioned previously about how a 4 person band just needed to sell 50 tickets at £10 each and that would pay all their entry visas for the UK. You never came back to me about how much of the £10 they actually got, or how they paid for their transportation, accommodation, equipment, etc.

So why were you so triggered by this thread that you decided you needed to edit posts, make up false claims and then reply?

Comment

Oh, and yes, bean, I've played and received recompense in various countries around the world. Off the top of my head, they include: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Ireland, Italy, United Kingdom & United States.

The biggest crowd I've played to was about 2,000 and the most I've been paid was around $3,000 - of which around $2,800 went on travel and accommodation)

But that's completely irrelevant to this thread, no matter how much you like derailing discussions.

Comment

Oh, and yes, bean, I've played and received recompense in various countries around the world. Off the top of my head, they include: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Ireland, Italy, United Kingdom & United States.

The biggest crowd I've played to was about 2,000 and the most I've been paid was around $3,000 - of which around $2,800 went on travel and accommodation)

But that's completely irrelevant to this thread, no matter how much you like derailing discussions.
                It's not irrelevant really. It very much depends what the reason for touring is, especially in the days of YouTube to reach out to new fans. A bit like overtime in contracting, touring for those trying to make it should be seen as a marketing expense. If you can afford to, do it; if you can't, narrow your target and play more affordably to more local people.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Nice spin as ever, take a different discussion and try to claim it's something else. I was replying to LondonManc, not you.
                  You seem to have some bizarre thought, that on an open forum, specific posts should only be answered by specific people.

Did you see that LondonManc replied (post 73) to your reply to me (72)?

You then continued that conversation (75) and I jumped back in, when I had some time & logged in again.

It's nothing to do with the EU, it's nothing to do with me.
                  But some on here seem to think that the UK unilaterally deciding to impose new charges and regulations on musicians from all round the world will have zero impact.
                  You mentioned previously about how a 4 person band just needed to sell 50 tickets at £10 each and that would pay all their entry visas for the UK. You never came back to me about how much of the £10 they actually got, or how they paid for their transportation, accommodation, equipment, etc.

So why were you so triggered by this thread that you decided you needed to edit posts, make up false claims and then reply?
                  I asked follow-up questions, to evaluate some claims you seem to be making.

As for how much they are paid - unsure, depends on their contracts/negotiation/offered - does it not?

You never answered if you could deduct costs from taxes and thus, make them relatively moot...

Do the EU allow musicians from outside the EU to travel freely and perform in the EU, or will we simply apply similar rules, that already exist.

but for context, you said in response to me;
                  Originally posted by Crying_lil_baby aka WTFH
                  You assume that a band gets 100% of the cost of ticket sales?

It's got nothing to do with the EU and everything to do with the UK government imposing new restrictions on musicians, at a cost to musicians.

OPM said earlier about all the local bands playing in his pub, but still hasn't replied with how much they get paid for it.

How much do you think a band gets paid for playing a gig?

If they do 10 gigs in a country, how much does the travel cost?
                  And the accommodation?
                  And the roadies?
                  And the sound & light?
                  And the promotion?
                  And the venue?
                  And the ticket sales?
                  And the management?

Until you're a very successful global brand, then touring is not about making money. It's about promoting your music.
                  So in your direct reply to me, you made some statements, which I then followed up on and you now accuse me of derailing the thread?
                  Time to bring back the emoticons for you, you triggered child

Still, that's your prerogative, after all - no fellow mod will snip or ban you for posting pish
                  ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Ah so, the cost of VISAs to non-EU countries didn't put you off then? Fantastic, nor should it EU performers

Did you offset costs against taxes/compensation?

You literally asked me how much people get paid etc etc, and then accuse me of derailing when I ask how much you got?
                    again, you are a triggered man-child
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

You seem to have some bizarre thought, that on an open forum, specific posts should only be answered by specific people.

Did you see that LondonManc replied (post 73) to your reply to me (72)?

You then continued that conversation (75) and I jumped back in, when I had some time & logged in again.

I asked follow-up questions, to evaluate some claims you seem to be making.

As for how much they are paid - unsure, depends on their contracts/negotiation/offered - does it not?

You never answered if you could deduct costs from taxes and thus, make them relatively moot...

Do the EU allow musicians from outside the EU to travel freely and perform in the EU, or will we simply apply similar rules, that already exist.

but for context, you said in response to me;

So in your direct reply to me, you made some statements, which I then followed up on and you now accuse me of derailing the thread?
                      Time to bring back the emoticons for you, you triggered child

Still, that's your prerogative, after all - no fellow mod will snip or ban you for posting pish
                      Ah so, the cost of VISAs to non-EU countries didn't put you off then? Fantastic, nor should it EU performers

Did you offset costs against taxes/compensation?

You literally asked me how much people get paid etc etc, and then accuse me of derailing when I ask how much you got?
                      again, you are a triggered man-child
                      geez, you're as tedious as John the Bike and Rogerfederererererererererer

FFS.

Comment

Working...
                      X