• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keep music British!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It's the whole belief thing that musical instruments weigh nothing, cost nothing, take up no space, transport themselves to locations, set themselves up and work at the right levels.
    And that gigging musicians make a fortune.

Not sure about you, but most non-ticketed venues I've played at (i.e. pubs), you might get a meal, you'll get a couple of beers per person, and maybe some petrol money.
    That's how it works in Nashville as well. The bands do not get paid to play in the bars. They turn up, set their tip bucket at the front of the stage, then play for an hour.
    Most band sthat I know that play the local gig circuit get £150-£250 for a single 90 minute set or a couple of 45 minute sets with a break in between, depending whether the establishment is putting on food or not. If it's a ticketed gig, the band often gets x tickets and gets to keep 50% of the ticket sales. Perhaps sticking to your own country and setting up a youtube channel and patreon account for a live-streamed gig would be better - a bit like gamers getting paid via twitch?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Most band sthat I know that play the local gig circuit get £150-£250 for a single 90 minute set or a couple of 45 minute sets with a break in between, depending whether the establishment is putting on food or not. If it's a ticketed gig, the band often gets x tickets and gets to keep 50% of the ticket sales. Perhaps sticking to your own country and setting up a youtube channel and patreon account for a live-streamed gig would be better - a bit like gamers getting paid via twitch?
      Yup - £150-£250 is what I'd consider "petrol money" i.e. £30-40 per person is not enough to cover driving to a gig, the time spent setting up, wear & tear etc
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

They are essentially amateur bands, they don't make a living from it. The professional bands play bigger venues weddings etc, where they earn substantially more. There aren't enough gigs paying enough locally, as you could only appear once a year so you need to prepared to go anywhere in Europe. They also do the lower paying gigs but you need several high paying gigs a month.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
        X