• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So No Deal It is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So No Deal It is

I remember after my Year 2000 programme was pretty much solved, being moved on to manage a Euro project. There were lots of interesting challenges, like how do you get away charging the Germans a lot more than the Portuguese for the same item when the products are suddenly in exactly the same currency? (hint: different package sizes for every market)?. However the IT content was very much more limited. I only got a few months out of that before being thrown into the scorching desert of 2000-2002 (you youngsters have no idea what hard times are).

The thing is the Cummings-Johnson Junta are painting the Brexit red lines so thick they must have decided there is absolutely no chance of an EU deal. The thing is will that be like Year 2000 or the 2008 Crisis (ie a bounteous source of highly paid contracts for general-purpose bods like me) or will it be like the Euro (ie slim pickings, most of the work going to existing permies)?

I kind of fear the latter.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Enquires are weekly at the minute, which is unusual for my industry. Usually monthly. Many offering remote working.

No deal is coming in my opinion. The EU do not have time for satisfying the whims of English nationalism whilst this virus business gets out of control. 2020 will be dominated by this bug and crashing markets.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Brexit is a cult run by fraudsters. No matter what Boris and his offshore leaching friends do, it will be supported by the vast majority of Brexiters.
      The UK is no longer a country friendly to small business and contractors.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Enquires are weekly at the minute, which is unusual for my industry. Usually monthly. Many offering remote working.

No deal is coming in my opinion. The EU do not have time for satisfying the whims of English nationalism whilst this virus business gets out of control. 2020 will be dominated by this bug and crashing markets.
        This

As you say, if Covid-19 continues through 2020 the EU won't be giving 2 flying fooks for the trade deal with us (neither will the yanks) as they'll have bigger fish to fry with crashing markets, reduced tourism, panic buying etc.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          This

As you say, if Covid-19 continues through 2020 the EU won't be giving 2 flying fooks for the trade deal with us (neither will the yanks) as they'll have bigger fish to fry with crashing markets, reduced tourism, panic buying etc.
          Except they won't have any fish to fry (or grill for that matter)...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Except they won't have any fish to fry (or grill for that matter)...
            Really? Let's see
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
            X