• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Further benefit of leaving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    US does not have vat but higher sales tax / corp tax. It will come back in one form or another.
    Alongside free tampons I would like to see subsidised contraception. Has anyone seen the prices for condoms? I would suspect the working class barely affords throwing 6-8£ on a pack and will skip buying them here and there. And it doesn’t take too long before there is another benefit application...
    Condoms have always been available for free Linky

Sanitary products should be available free in the same way for women. It's not like women have a choice on needing these products.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Condoms have always been available for free Linky

Sanitary products should be available free in the same way for women. It's not like women have a choice on needing these products.
      Indeed. And sex is not compulsary. I wish I had realized that a long while ago...

Comment

The government is in need of a pointless gimmick:

Fishing FURY: Boris issued dire warning over Brexit gamble - ‘It would ENRAGE public’

Look forward to the upcoming negotiations, it looks like they will be entertaining.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

We don’t need to leave the EU to scrap the tampon tax

We don’t need to leave the EU to scrap the tampon tax - InFacts

Claim: “We’ll be able to cut VAT on things that we currently can’t under EU rules – sanitary products, you name it.”

Boris Johnson, BBC, Nov 15

InFact: In 2016 the UK won a promise from the EU to be able to scrap the current 5% VAT on sanitary products. At that point, our government thought the new system would be in place by April 2017.

After the referendum, we lost most of our influence in the EU and the timetable slipped. The government used its limited political capital for other things. There is “no sign that the current Tory government has pushed the issue [of the tampon tax] in Brexit talks,” Labour MP Paula Sherriff said last year.

But the European Commission still published proposals covering the abolition of the tampon tax in 2018. Although the earliest date for implementation is January 2022, that’s just one year after the end of the “transition period” agreed by Boris Johnson – which he might end up extending anyway.

The economic costs of Brexit would be a high price to pay for a few extra months with the zero rate – particularly when that would leave more women struggling to make ends meet. Far better to stay in the EU and push for faster reform.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

We don’t need to leave the EU to scrap the tampon tax - InFacts

Claim: “We’ll be able to cut VAT on things that we currently can’t under EU rules – sanitary products, you name it.”

Boris Johnson, BBC, Nov 15

InFact: In 2016 the UK won a promise from the EU to be able to scrap the current 5% VAT on sanitary products. At that point, our government thought the new system would be in place by April 2017.

After the referendum, we lost most of our influence in the EU and the timetable slipped. The government used its limited political capital for other things. There is “no sign that the current Tory government has pushed the issue [of the tampon tax] in Brexit talks,” Labour MP Paula Sherriff said last year.

But the European Commission still published proposals covering the abolition of the tampon tax in 2018. Although the earliest date for implementation is January 2022, that’s just one year after the end of the “transition period” agreed by Boris Johnson – which he might end up extending anyway.

The economic costs of Brexit would be a high price to pay for a few extra months with the zero rate – particularly when that would leave more women struggling to make ends meet. Far better to stay in the EU and push for faster reform.
            Yet another myth explodes, perhaps we can try again. There must be something out there.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Far better to stay in the EU and push for faster reform.
              You're deluded. Had there been substantial reform, Brexit wouldn't have happened. They're not interested in reform, only in pushing for further integration and centralisation of powers in Brussels. I appreciate that many of you think this is absolutely the way to go, but thankfully 17.4 million disagreed with you, and we got off the train before it reached its ultimate destination.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                You're deluded. Had there been substantial reform, Brexit wouldn't have happened. They're not interested in reform, only in pushing for further integration and centralisation of powers in Brussels. I appreciate that many of you think this is absolutely the way to go, but thankfully 17.4 million disagreed with you, and we got off the train before it reached its ultimate destination.
                I get you genuinely believe this is true, but you are so wrong. Wrong in the same way that religious followers believe there is a god - no amount of facts or truths will ever change their minds. You're both so fanatical about your views that you just can't see the reality in front of your eyes.

It's a shame, but hey, what can you do?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  I get you genuinely believe this is true, but you are so wrong. Wrong in the same way that religious followers believe there is a god - no amount of facts or truths will ever change their minds. You're both so fanatical about your views that you just can't see the reality in front of your eyes.

It's a shame, but hey, what can you do?
                  If you're going to use a religious metaphor (I wouldn't personally) then at least get it the right way round. I'm the non-believer/atheist/agnostic in this context. You are the fanatic, who can't see why others don't share your beliefs (and if we don't, we're supposed to be the blind zealots).
                  I'd love to know in which way you think I'm wrong though. Do you think the EU is ready to repent and reform? If anything, once the troublesome and resistant Brits have been dealt with, they will hit the pedal on the right a little harder. We'll see who's right in good time, and I'm feeling pretty confident.
                  If you want my list of predictions for the next 10-15 years, I'd be happy to share them with you. Spoiler alert, it doesn't include reform though.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If you're going to use a religious metaphor (I wouldn't personally) then at least get it the right way round. I'm the non-believer/atheist/agnostic in this context. You are the fanatic, who can't see why others don't share your beliefs (and if we don't, we're supposed to be the blind zealots).
                    I'd love to know in which way you think I'm wrong though. Do you think the EU is ready to repent and reform? If anything, once the troublesome and resistant Brits have been dealt with, they will hit the pedal on the right a little harder. We'll see who's right in good time, and I'm feeling pretty confident.
                    If you want my list of predictions for the next 10-15 years, I'd be happy to share them with you. Spoiler alert, it doesn't include reform though.
                    The EU army was touted as an example of this by brexiteers for years, was denied to the hilt by EU fanatics and now the view from the EU and their flock, is that it’s obvious they need one - why the big drama...it’s no biggy...
                    Originally posted by Old Greg
                    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Brexit is your religion. JRM, Farage and their pals the preachers.

Most remainers are open minded and have been waiting for over 3 years to hear why leaving will be positive. We're here to be convinced; I'll happily support Brexit if I can see any benefits to it. But you guys, you are so indoctrinated into your 'faith' that it's akin to religious fanaticism.

Like I say, it's a shame, but it is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X