• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Further benefit of leaving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Further benefit of leaving

One for the ladies this time:

Budget 2020: Pledges on tampon tax and the future of cash - BBC News

We would be free to abolish VAT altogether, if only temporarily, to get the economy going again after Covid-19. All those years of paying at least 15% more (currently 20% in our case) for almost everything could be at an end...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

You think that the savings will be passed on consumers? We shall see.
    If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
      You think that the savings will be passed on consumers? We shall see.
      Nope. And even if it was, over a lifetime the saving is a massive £40

The irony is the money collected via this tax was directly filtered to a charity to help women in genuine tampon poverty. That money will no longer be available to this charity so once again, those most in need will lose out.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Nope. And even if it was, over a lifetime the saving is a massive £40

The irony is the money collected via this tax was directly filtered to a charity to help women in genuine tampon poverty. That money will no longer be available to this charity so once again, those most in need will lose out.
        this. <for once i have to agree>

these 'cuts' are just distractions, and likely to do more harm than good.
        it's bread and circuses.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          this. <for once i have to agree>

these 'cuts' are just distractions, and likely to do more harm than good.
          it's bread and circuses.
          Fookin ell ... first I'm agreeing with Shaun, and now BR14 is agreeing with me. Looks like this virus is spreading fast through CUK and making the locals delirious

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            Fookin ell ... first I'm agreeing with Shaun, and now BR14 is agreeing with me. Looks like this virus is spreading fast through CUK and making the locals delirious
            have a lie down, - you'll be fine in a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              One for the ladies this time:

Budget 2020: Pledges on tampon tax and the future of cash - BBC News

We would be free to abolish VAT altogether, if only temporarily, to get the economy going again after Covid-19. All those years of paying at least 15% more (currently 20% in our case) for almost everything could be at an end...

Prior to vat, the UK had purchase tax up to 50%
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Prior to vat, the UK had purchase tax up to 50%
                True, but that was on luxury goods (although the definition of 'luxury' will have changed somewhat over the years) rather than on just about everything. No government would get away with that now.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

US does not have vat but higher sales tax / corp tax. It will come back in one form or another.
                  Alongside free tampons I would like to see subsidised contraception. Has anyone seen the prices for condoms? I would suspect the working class barely affords throwing 6-8£ on a pack and will skip buying them here and there. And it doesn’t take too long before there is another benefit application...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran
                    chunts saving 15% well that is most remainers.

would have thought they were on-board

even assgoo could manage that.
                    Would you like to re-write this post this morning, when you're less 'tired and emotional'?

Comment

Working...
                    X