• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unemployment in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    And the highlighted bit....

the £60 was from a BBC news broadcast but it seems reasonable for shared accommodation.

the £27 was extrapolated from caffeine man's point that the UK pay was 3 times their minimum wage (so 3*£9 = £27)
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      a mate of mine is a cat c lorry driver and was unemployed for a while a decade ago he was regularly offered £7 an hour (at the time minimum wage) to drive lorries which he declined because his benefits were more than that. if he had gone out to work his family would have been poorer to do a job that cost a few thousands to certify for.

Fruit picking is offering now £8/9 an hour i.e. Minimum wage and you face living in a caravan with 5 others paying about £60 a week to catch corona-virus.

As you point out if they were paying £27 an hour (the equivalent to the pay the romanians will get) they would probably have hundreds of thousands of applicants.
      Absolutely this.

/thread
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

the £60 was from a BBC news broadcast but it seems reasonable for shared accommodation.

the £27 was extrapolated from caffeine man's point that the UK pay was 3 times their minimum wage (so 3*£9 = £27)
        Except he said:

Another benefit to being Romanian is the big difference in minimum wage, around £2.80
        An hour over there. So they come here and triple their income.
        Which works out at 3 * 2.80 as they're tripling their wage from their home country in order to get the minimum wage here
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Except he said:

Which works out at 3 * 2.80 as they're tripling their wage from their home country in order to get the minimum wage here

oh dear too complicated? Maybe ask Assgoo for crayons.

I will try again :

If the Romanians like the jobs because they earn 3 times their minimum wage maybe the Brits might like the jobs if they earn 3 times our minimum wage i.e. £27 - did anyone else find that challenging? Its not like I haven't made this point plenty of times before.

Comment

oh dear too complicated? Maybe ask Assgoo for crayons.

I will try again :

If the Romanians like the jobs because they earn 3 times their minimum wage maybe the Brits might like the jobs if they earn 3 times our minimum wage i.e. £27 - did anyone else find that challenging? Its not like I haven't made this point plenty of times before.
            Oh dear....
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Oh dear....
              Ah excellent you finally understand the point!

Comment

Ah excellent you finally understand the point!
                Oh dear....

Comment

Oh dear....

help we need to reboot the barmy bot!

Comment

Working...
                  X