• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6,000 jobs at risk at Cafe Rouge and Bella Italia owner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6,000 jobs at risk at Cafe Rouge and Bella Italia owner

Brexit blamed for it Corona gave the final push
    Coronavirus: 6,000 jobs at risk at Cafe Rouge and Bella Italia owner - BBC News

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Nothing to do with Brexit*, everything to do with their overpriced, underwhelming offerings, high rents and business rates, and generally crap service. The chaff won't survive, because they don't deserve to survive.

*Although it will make it harder for such chains to employ staff on a 'minimum-wage-and-not-a-penny-more' basis.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I didn't mind Cafe Rouge but I thought they disappeared years ago. Never been in a Bella Pasta.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I didn't mind Cafe Rouge but I thought they disappeared years ago. Never been in a Bella Pasta.
        You haven't missed anything.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          Nothing to do with Brexit*, everything to do with their overpriced, underwhelming offerings, high rents and business rates, and generally crap service. The chaff won't survive, because they don't deserve to survive.

*Although it will make it harder for such chains to employ staff on a 'minimum-wage-and-not-a-penny-more' basis.
          As the article make clear, the Brexit referendum result devalued GBP which pushed up the cost of imported food. Sorry to disturb your fantasies with reality. Just put it down as Project Fear.

Comment

Their locations will be taken over by betting shops, banks or loan sharks.

Comment

Cafe Rouge on CW is horrendous. Should have been firebombed.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

They have to go as they have foreign names
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I liked Café Rouge on the rare occasions I've gone there - but it's always so empty I have no idea how they've survived this long

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    As the article make clear, the Brexit referendum result devalued GBP which pushed up the cost of imported food. Sorry to disturb your fantasies with reality. Just put it down as Project Fear.
                    Yes, it did, but that would apply to every food importer. So why are some coping better than others? As we have discussed widely, badly run companies are quick to blame Brexit, because it deflects quite nicely away from the real reasons.
                    Quite apart from the fact that their brand name sounds like an Italian drag act, their food offering wasn't very good, and the service was awful. No organisation is going to survive that in the long term, with or without Brexit.

Comment

Working...
                    X