• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Surprised the Vetran Wail Reporter hasn't mentioned this one yet.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    The article was interesting but its not compelling evidence. I agree that masks may reduce the volume and size of droplets etc.

Thats not the issue, people wearing ill fitting masks, reusing them, adjusting the masks so touching their faces, surfaces and spreading the virus means its not so clear cut.
    Did you read the literature review linked to from the article?

http://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

You have to work really hard to make a case against face masks. It's hard to see how you end up there without starting from a political position of not wanting masks (muzzles) and then trying to cherry pick evidence to justify your position.

By the way, when you say "compelling evidence", are you looking for 100% certainty? Because you won't get that in a fast-moving pandemic.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Did you read the literature review linked to from the article?

http://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

You have to work really hard to make a case against face masks. It's hard to see how you end up there without starting from a political position of not wanting masks (muzzles) and then trying to cherry pick evidence to justify your position.

By the way, when you say "compelling evidence", are you looking for 100% certainty? Because you won't get that in a fast-moving pandemic.
      I read the article, most of it was was about size of droplets, reduced spread etc - which I'm happy to agree with. I have no issues with that at all.

The article then pointed out how rates are lower in Asian countries that tend to wear masks. They also pointed out when masks are made mandatory Covid rates drop in a couple of examples.

Having read about Asia (cant remember which specific country) they have a whole different culture when it comes to disinfecting, washing hands and wearing masks. What's not clear is if masks are responsible for their reduced rates. Or is it everything else, like washing their hands more frequently.

Rates may drop when masks are introduced because other measures are introduced at the same time, restrictions on movement. Increase in media coverage etc.

I'm not an expert on this, I've just listened to three different professors over the weeks, say there isn't any compelling evidence, and wearing masks by the public may actually increase the spread (again, evidence is not compelling for this).

So, I think when people get judgemental and start calling others names for not wanting to wear masks its worth remembering that we don't really know how good or bad they are.

I have a cool green mask with swappable filters, which I quite like, no axe to grind.
      Last edited by woohoo; 5 August 2020, 09:37.

Comment

Working...
      X