• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speak English

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speak English

Seems reasonable, what do you my fellow contractors think. Is it too much to ask a migrant to be able to speak English?

‘Speak English’ in order to work in UK, Britain tells post-Brexit migrants | Euronews

Could reduce translation costs at the benefits office, courts and within the NHS. What do you think guys?

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Seems reasonable, what do you my fellow contractors think. Is it too much to ask a migrant to be able to speak English?

‘Speak English’ in order to work in UK, Britain tells post-Brexit migrants | Euronews

Could reduce translation costs at the benefits office, courts and within the NHS. What do you think guys?
    At least they didn't come up with one of those "level playing field" ideas and won't require everyone to learn Esperanto.

The problem I see is that the requirement seems to be only to speak English. Nothing about listening skills? Writing?

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
      At least they didn't come up with one of those "level playing field" ideas and won't require everyone to learn Esperanto.

The problem I see is that the requirement seems to be only to speak English. Nothing about listening skills? Writing?
      Innit burv, fam better spit verse proper like to wanna crib here
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Will they apply it to all users of those services? Including the home grown ones? (I assume the answer to that question is: "Yeah, but no, but yeah" or sumut similar?)

M

Comment

Can't we all speak Pidgen?

Comment

Would that be the same language as this:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Innit burv, fam better spit verse proper like to wanna crib here
              Lets not turn this into a racist thing, you are better than that SimonMac. Keep it light-hearted.

Comment

Lets not turn this into a racist thing, you are better than that SimonMac. Keep it light-hearted.

Glad you're not advocating written requirements.

"Lets" - multiple rentals, multiple tennis serves that hit the net then go over.

"Let's" - a contraction of "Let us"
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Nope. In Switzerland to get a permanent residency permit, you have to have at least A2 in the local language. In some cantons, it's higher than that.

To get a job though, you'll have to speak some German (or French or Italian) or work for an English speaking company.

Oh, and if you're an EU citizen, you can come and look for work for three months. If you don't find anything within that period that pays a reasonable salary, you must leave. This is an option open to all EU countries. Just some (e.g. the UK) chose not to implement it.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Says a guy who probably spent most of his holidays pointing at pictures of egg and chips on a menu.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X