• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No need for a withdrawal agreement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy peasy...

Originally posted by The Lying Liars
    Vote Leave

"We will negotiate the terms of a new deal before we start any legal process to leave."

Vote Leave leaflet, June 2016

"We negotiate a new UK-EU deal based on free trade and friendly cooperation."

Vote Leave website, 2 May 2016

"The referendum will be followed by negotiations with the other 27 EU member states, following which the UK will strike a new deal with the EU based on free trade and friendly cooperation."

Vote Leave website, 8 May 2016

Boris Johnson

"There is no plan for no deal because we are going to get a great deal."

Boris Johnson, Hansard, 11 July 2017

"It doesn't seem to me it would be very hard to strike, to do a free trade deal very rapidly indeed. I don't think it would be necessary to invoke Article 50 immediately, I don't see why that would be the case. The US-Australia deal that I just mentioned for instance took only two years.

Boris Johnson, Treasury Committee, 23 March 2016

"My view is that we should get out from under that system and have a free trade arrangement that continued to give access to UK goods and services on the European continent."

Boris Johnson, Treasury Committee, 23 March 2016

"They are desperate to get out of the EU, and they are right. They believe the other EU countries would rapidly do a free trade deal, and an unshackled British business sector would probably export more to the rest of Europe than it does today."

Boris Johnson, The Telegraph, 15 May 2016

"To no one's very great surprise, Project Fear turned out to be a giant hoax. The markets were calm. The pound did not collapse. The British government immediately launched a highly effective and popular campaign across the Continent to explain that this was not a rejection of "Europe", only of the supranational EU institutions; and a new relationship was rapidly forged based on free trade and with traditional British leadership on foreign policy, crime-fighting, intelligence-sharing and other intergovernmental cooperation."

Boris Johnson, The Telegraph, 22 May 2016

"There is only one way to get the change we need, and that is to vote to go, because all EU history shows that they only really listen to a population when it says no... It is time to seek a new relationship, in which we manage to extricate ourselves from most of the supranational elements."

Boris Johnson, The Telegraph, 16 March 2016

Dominic Raab

"Mutual self-interest suggests we'd cut a very good deal."

Dominic Raab, BBC Sunday Politics, 24 April 2016

"The idea that Britain would be apocalyptically off the cliff edge if we left the EU is silly."

Dominic Raab, Daily Politics, April 2016

"If those are two reasons for believing greater rewards lie outside the EU, a third suggests the risks have been exaggerated. Of course, we would retain a strong trading relationship with the EU... There are various models on offer - Swiss, Norwegian, Turkish - but since our economy is bigger than all of those combined, it's reasonable to expect we would negotiate a bespoke British deal."

Dominic Raab, ConservativeHome, 12 April 2016

Dominic Cummings

"There is a clear way in which we come to a new deal: we repeal the 1972 European Communities Act and the supremacy of EU law, we negotiate a free trade deal with the EU (which is in all of our interests), we also have sensible laws on the free movement of people."

Dominic Cummings, Vote Leave website, 22 January 2016

"We're agreeing that we would have a free trade deal on goods - done."

Dominic Cummings, Treasury Committee, 20 April 2016

"I think almost inevitably the overall phases will be: we win on the 23rd; people take a deep breath; we'll have to create a new government team to go do the negotiations (we couldn't send off the likes of Philip Hammond and whatnot who've just failed so spectacularly again) so the Prime Minister will have to assemble a new team of people; there will then be informal negotiations on an intergovernmental level, and with the European Union institutions; I think then once you've got the overall picture of what you want to do, you would then say right, how do we solve the legalities. And only after that do you actually get into: right here's how we use Article 50, if we use Article 50 at all; here's what the timescale would be; here's the timescale for when we repeal the 1972 European Communities Act; probably incorporate all existing European Union law into domestic law; and then begin a process of sorting it out. I think roughly speaking that kind of framework, most people would agree is a sensible way forward."

"Really it's a process, we're talking about a new relationship… it's going to be a gradual thing."

"An interesting attempt at such a plan is FLEXCIT based on using the EEA as a transition phase - remaining in the Single Market and retaining a (modified) version of free movement - while a better deal, inevitably taking years, is negotiated."

Dominic Cummings's Blog, 23 June 2015

Michael Gove

"I think that we have four years, more or less, between now and the date of the next election and I think we can easily conclude a new settlement with the European Union in that period."

Michael Gove, Birmingham Mail, 8 June 2019, 04:00

"Well, I think if the British people want to vote for a deal which you describe as all the advantages and none of the pay-outs, that would be a great thing on June 23rd."

Michael Gove, The Marr Show, 8 May 2016

Theresa Villiers

"I'm sure we'll get a great deal from the European Union and carry on doing business with them in just the way we do now."

Theresa Villiers, BBC Sunday Politics, 19 June 2016

"Absolutely he [David Cameron] should be the one that leads our negotiations on the Brexit deal. I think those negotiations will go well, the reality is that the EU sells far more to us than we do to them, it's in their interests to make sure we retain a strong trading relationship, a free trade deal."

Theresa Villiers, Sky News, 17 April 2016

Andrea Leadsom

"We would have a British option. We would immediately go from being a member of the EU to being the EU's biggest trading partner. It would be absolutely in their interests and our interests, and let's not forget, we've been aligning our rules with theirs for 43 years. It would be a very easy thing to negotiate comprehensive free trade."

Andrea Leadsom, Newsnight, 29 April 2016

"We've spent 43 years aligning our goods and services with them. So negotiating a free trade agreement will be as easy as we want it to be."

Andrea Leadsom, The Marr Show, 15 May 2016

Liam Fox

"Legally, under the Lisbon Treaty, if we leave the European Union, the European Union is required by law to enter into a negotiation with us about extricating ourselves, including offering us a trade agreement. So, it is already written in to the Lisbon Treaty that should we decide to go they have obligations. We are not like Switzerland, a country already outside, we're already inside the Single Market, they have obligations to us not to impose trade tariffs or barriers that don't already exist."

Liam Fox, UK Chamber of Shipping, 11 September 2015

"What should be done? I believe that the best way forward is for Britain to renegotiate a new relationship with the European Union - one based on an economic partnership involving a customs union and a single market in goods and services."

Liam Fox, Daily Mail, 16 September 2012

Steve Baker

"The Brexit vote has created an "unfrozen moment", where the UK can catalyse a new period of global growth. The Legatum Institute's Special Trade Commission shows us how: the negotiation of a broad, deep permanent free-trade agreement with the EU; the initiation of a "prosperity zone" with a group of like-minded countries that believe in open trade, competition on merit and property rights protection; and new economic partnership agreements with Commonwealth, African, Caribbean and Pacific countries to open channels to their agricultural exports."

Steve Baker, Financial Times, 10 December 2016

"We will seek a unique, reciprocal UK-EU arrangement of open trade in goods and services and co-operation on other matters, like counter-terrorism. That was the Prime Minister's message on 2 October. The only constructive choice is to help make it happen."

Steve Baker, City AM, 31 October 2016

Daniel Hannan

"The one thing that they all have in common is that they are part of a free trade area, and that's the one thing I think we can take for granted."

Daniel Hannan, University of Reading debate, 6 January 2017

"Norway, a handy example of how a country can prosper by having a free-trade relationship with the EU instead of joining the Brussels political institutions"

Daniel Hannan's blog, 8 December 2014

"Our objective, when we leave the EU, should be to aim for a Swiss model, based on bilateral accords, rather than membership of the EEA"

Daniel Hannan, The Telegraph, 15 December 2012

"What a great model for Britain. If 7 million Swiss relying on bilateral free trade agreements can give their people the highest standard of living on the continent, how much more so could we."

Daniel Hannan, Speech in the European Parliament, YouTube, 16 July 2012

Leave.EU

"A replacement UK-EU trade deal is a cert. […] That means British negotiators will be able to a secure free trade deal with Brussels. This is the only part of the current EU set-up that actually works, and it will not change."

Leave.EU press release, 11 October 2015

"A replacement UK EU trade deal will be put in place to ensure the status-quo remains as it is."

Liz Binley, Vote Leave CEO, Leave.EU press release, 6 January 2016
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      The withdrawal agreement is a legally binding treaty that Johnson negotiated. It would be amusing if the UK reneged on it. Caveat emptor for the next party to sign a treaty with Perfidious Albion.
      Tony Abbot will help out............. as a negative FTE

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        If this is true, then you can no longer believe anything Johnson ever says:
        Has anyone ever believed anything he's said?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Jonathan Jones: Head of government's legal department quits over PM's reported Brexit plan,

"This resignation indicates that senior government lawyers think that the government are about to break the law".

Jonathan Jones: Head of government's legal department quits over PM's reported Brexit plan, Whitehall sources say | Politics News | Sky News
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

We won get over it

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon Lewis;NI Secretary

I would say to my honourable friend that, yes, this does break international law in a very specific and limited way. We’re taking the power to disapply the EU law concept of direct effect required by article 4 in certain very tightly defined circumstances.
              "My client only broke the law in a specific and limited way."

If you're a Tory then laws are only for other people...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

"The so-called 'victim' was going to die anyway, my client only broke the law by bringing forward the date"
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Jonathan Jones: Head of government's legal department quits over PM's reported Brexit plan,

"This resignation indicates that senior government lawyers think that the government are about to break the law".

Jonathan Jones: Head of government's legal department quits over PM's reported Brexit plan, Whitehall sources say | Politics News | Sky News
                  Isn't it really sad what these Tories have done to our country. Who'd have thought, 10 years ago, that we'd turn into a rogue country not to be trusted on the world stage and willing to break international law just to force through the ideologies of a minority of Tories?

We might all be getting blue passports, but we'll be too embarrassed to show them.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Isn't it really sad what these Tories have done to our country. Who'd have thought, 10 years ago, that we'd turn into a rogue country not to be trusted on the world stage and willing to break international law just to force through the ideologies of a minority of Tories?

We might all be getting blue passports, but we'll be too embarrassed to show them.
                    Don't forget unlawfully suspending Parliament.

Comment

Spain is no doubt looking forward to breaching international law regarding Gibraltar in "specific" ways

Comment

Working...
                      X