• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shetxit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Shetland belongs to Norway anyway, it was illegally annexed in 1609
    Wrong, as usual. Norway pawned the islands in 1468 according to wonkipedia: History of Shetland - Wikipedia

They were confiscated by the Crown in 1609, but from a Scottish nobleman who was convicted of treason.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Wrong, as usual. Norway pawned the islands in 1468 according to wonkipedia: History of Shetland - Wikipedia

They were confiscated by the Crown in 1609, but from a Scottish nobleman who was convicted of treason.
      So I was right you imbecile

Comment

No you weren't, you moron. Norway gave up ownership of Shetland (and Orkney) in 1468. Nothing you've said so far is factually correct.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Obviously you failed your CSE English comprehension, but even by your standards, that's very sloppy work. Have another read. Correct your work. See me after school.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Obviously you failed your CSE English* comprehension, but even by your standards, that's very sloppy work. Have another read. Correct your work. See me after school.
            As in 'given over as security against the payment of a debt'. I'll certainly concede that 'pawn' was probably not the correct terminology for the time, but I took the direct quote from the Wiki page rather than try to explain an alternative to our Anglophobe friend.

(*Grade A at O Level - and yes, I was a bit surprised at the time...)

Comment

pot, kettle

Comment

As in 'given over as security against the payment of a debt'. I'll certainly concede that 'pawn' was probably not the correct terminology for the time, but I took the direct quote from the Wiki page rather than try to explain an alternative to our Anglophobe friend.

(*Grade A at O Level - and yes, I was a bit surprised at the time...)
                Still wrong. Re-read the text please and repeat your work.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Still wrong. Re-read the text please and repeat your work.
                  I give up. Gissa clue...

Comment

PAWNED | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I give up. Gissa clue...
                      No clues. But I've pasted the text from wiki below. You can do it!

Pawned to Scotland

Illustration of King Christian I of Denmark from the Nordens Historie of 1887
                      In the 14th century Norway still treated Orkney and Shetland as a Norwegian province, but Scottish influence was growing, and in 1379 the Scottish earl Henry Sinclair took control of Orkney on behalf of the Norwegian king Håkon VI Magnusson.[10] In 1348 Norway was severely weakened by the Black Plague and in 1397 it entered the Kalmar Union. With time Norway came increasingly under Danish control. King Christian I of Denmark and Norway was in financial trouble and, when his daughter Margaret became engaged to James III of Scotland in 1468, he needed money to pay her dowry. Under Norse udal law, the king had no overall ownership of the land in the realm as in the Scottish feudal system. He was king of his people, rather than king of the land. What the king did not personally own was owned absolutely by others. The King's lands represented only a small part of Shetland.[11] Apparently without the knowledge of the Norwegian Riksråd (Council of the Realm) he entered into a commercial contract on 8 September 1468 with the King of Scots in which he pawned his personal interests in Orkney for 50,000 Rhenish guilders.[12] On 28 May the next year he also pawned his Shetland interests for 8,000 Rhenish guilders.[13] He secured a clause in the contract which gave Christian or his successors the right to redeem the islands[14] for a fixed sum of 210 kilograms (460 lb) of gold or 2,310 kilograms (5,090 lb) of silver. There was an obligation to retain the language and laws of Norway, which was not only implicit in the pawning document, but is acknowledged in later correspondence between James III and King Christian's son John (Hans).[15] In 1470 William Sinclair, 1st Earl of Caithness ceded his title to James III and on 20 February 1472, the Northern Isles were directly annexed to the Crown of Scotland.[16]

Comment

Working...
                      X