• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Japan Trade deal!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Was it just me who couldn't keep a straight face when our trade secretary was whittering on about Melton Pork Pie exports to Japan on morning TV today?
    Quite right. They need to focus on the core offer:

British tea, jam and biscuits will be at the heart of Britain's Brexit trade plans

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      During trade talks, the trade secretary heard the Japanese mention "typhoon". Thinking they wanted tea it was included
      in the deal.
      Last edited by Paddy; 11 September 2020, 20:43.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Is it only advisory?

I mean, a deal that's worth half as much as the previous deal is great deal!
        Am I understanding the article(s) correctly, it's 15bn on top of any existing deal? 29+15?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          Am I understanding the article(s) correctly, it's 15bn on top of any existing deal? 29+15?

It replaces the existing deal - since the existing deal was with the EU.

IF the new deal was worth 29+15, I'm sure that would be the figure that the Pro-Brexit papers would be showing.

As it stands, we've got a trade deal to sell cheese to a country that doesn't eat much cheese, but not only that, we've got them to recognise some of our cheese (e.g. Wendsleydale) as being the new UK equivalent of PGI. (since PGI is an EU term)
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

IF the new deal was worth 29+15, I'm sure that would be the figure that the Pro-Brexit papers would be showing.

As it stands, we've got a trade deal to sell cheese to a country that doesn't eat much cheese, but not only that, we've got them to recognise some of our cheese (e.g. Wendsleydale) as being the new UK equivalent of PGI. (since PGI is an EU term)
            If it is like-for-like then the opening of the Gov release is certainly a bit "creative":

The UK has secured a free trade agreement with Japan, which is the UK’s first major trade deal as an independent trading nation and will increase trade with Japan by an estimated £15.2 billion.

Comment

Although it is being lauded as a new trade deal, it is still only 'in principle'. The Japanese still haven't announced it and neither country has released the actual treaty yet. Until that is done, I wouldn't hold your breath

You also have to remember that it pretty much replicates everything the UK already has with the current trade deal under EU rules except for one large aspect...If the UK imports something from Japan and then uses that in goods to export to the EU, if there is a 'no deal' then there is a lot more paperwork and tariffs to be paid on top so not a 'win win' situation in that case
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The UK has secured a free trade agreement with Japan, which is the UK’s first major trade deal as an independent trading nation and will increase trade with Japan by an estimated £15.2 billion.
                I don't know how you can try to spin this negatively.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  I don't know how you can try to spin this negatively.
                  As Britain currently has no explicit trade deal with Japan apart from the one via the EU, then trade is basically 0 although you can see how much trade the UK does with Japan under the EU treaty in the figures below (its around 14bn). Once Britain frees itself from the shackles of the EU, then the new trade deal will be worth 15bn per year. The question to be asked is how much is the current trade deal via the EU worth and is that 15bn an improvement or not?

This might be the document from HM Gov, but doesn't actually say when it was written:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...s_approach.pdf

And these are the official government trade figures:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...sion_final.pdf

Some further points:

The deal removes Britain’s tariffs on Japanese cars in stages to zero in 2026, which is the same as in the Japan-EU trade agreement.
                  According to various websitea:

British exports to Japan are worth an impressive £14.8 billion a year, pretty much evenly split between goods and services, making Japan the UK’s 7th largest market on a value added basis.
                  UK exports of trade goods to Japan were worth around 8.3 billion U.S. dollars in 2019, a decreased from the previous year.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                    If it is like-for-like then the opening of the Gov release is certainly a bit "creative":

I've just noticed it.

The creative bit is after the word "billion". It's a full stop.

It doesn't say £15.2 billion PER YEAR. It's a figure with no time against it. Sign a 5 year treaty, and £15.2 becomes £3.04

The devil is in the details
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've just noticed it.

The creative bit is after the word "billion". It's a full stop.

It doesn't say £15.2 billion PER YEAR. It's a figure with no time against it. Sign a 5 year treaty, and £15.2 becomes £3.04

The devil is in the details
                      Yeah it could be but you tried to spin it as a decrease in trade when it isn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X