• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Japan Trade deal!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this deal, currently setting up Japanese entity for fintech - this will smooth the way

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Hmmmm: Subscribe to read | Financial Times
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Behind a paywall! Really not worth sharing articles with no explanation what is there if most of us can't read the content.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          Behind a paywall! Really not worth sharing articles with no explanation what is there if most of us can't read the content.
          And the headline alone has too many hard words for most Brexiteers:

Japan trade deal commits UK to stricter state aid curbs than in EU talks

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            If you Google 'japan trade deal state aid' and click on the FTP link, for some reason it's not behind a paywall

A little bit here: https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/uks...e-aid-20200913

And here: UK negotiating position in Brexit talks seriously undermined after agreeing to tough state aid rules in Japan deal, legal experts claim | The New European
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              If you Google 'japan trade deal state aid' and click on the FTP link, for some reason it's not behind a paywall

A little bit here: https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/uks...e-aid-20200913

And here: UK negotiating position in Brexit talks seriously undermined after agreeing to tough state aid rules in Japan deal, legal experts claim | The New European
              Not being funny, but most people are pretty lazy (me included) so if you want people to read something it's best to make it easy for them rather than linking to a paywall article, then suggesting they do a search to find a different article.

I'm sure your article is a good one, but very few will read it which will lose the message you're trying to get across.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Basically, the UK has agreed much stricter state aid rules than what the EU insist upon and the UK rejected with the EU. The UK - Japan deal leaves the UK much worse off than the current EU - Japan deal. Another triumph for Brex-shi***s.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Put succinctly:

“What’s intriguing is in these international agreements it is really normal for both parties to put restrictions on the other country, so that they know that country won’t pull a fast one, and start dumping things or subsidising their own industries.

“So when it comes to things like state aid and food standards, you show your cards and you tell the other party in that agreement how you’re going to manage those things.”

"And when it’s Japan, it seems OK for us to say ‘this is what we’ll do on state aid, happy to sign up for that. This is what we’ll do on food, let’s sign up for that’."

“As soon as it’s the European Union, those reasonable negotiated agreements between countries turn out to be ‘an assault on our democracy’ and ‘how dare they ask us to know how we’re going to manage food standards’.

“You have to remember the UK was the country that managed to generate BSE by having bad food standards.

“It’s not surprising that any country - EU, Japan or any country we negotiate with - will ask what our food standards will be and not want food to come into their country or bloc unless they know what they are.”

“I think we should be more comfortable in setting out things like our state aid, or our food standards, and just accept that is the normal part of international treaties and once you’ve signed them they have to be binding.”

Comment

Wait, does it mean that Japan holds some cards?

Or, the UK doesn't hold any?

Which one is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Basically, the UK has agreed much stricter state aid rules than what the EU insist upon and the UK rejected with the EU. The UK - Japan deal leaves the UK much worse off than the current EU - Japan deal. Another triumph for Brex-shi***s.
                      We haven't had to negotiate trade deals for several decades, so we may not have very experienced negotiators. Maybe we should consider outsourcing this. Maybe the EU could lend us their team?
                      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                      X