Brexit Dividend: Dominic Cummings wants to create a “British Google” Brexit Dividend: Dominic Cummings wants to create a “British Google”
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    Double Godlike!

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    10,953

    Default Brexit Dividend: Dominic Cummings wants to create a “British Google”

    What the F*** do the Tories have for brains. Brexit will give the UK an opportunity to create a “British Google” in competition with USA Google...

    wired.co.uk/article/no-deal-brexit-state-aid-tech
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

  2. #2

    Contractor Among Contractors

    clearedforlanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Found myself. Still lost.
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    What the F*** do the Tories have for brains. Brexit will give the UK an opportunity to create a “British Google” in competition with USA Google...

    wired.co.uk/article/no-deal-brexit-state-aid-tech
    Cummings likes data. The more personal the better.

    No sure he knows hoe the tech sector works though.

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Fingers like lightning

    TheGreenBastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Similar sentiment on the continent: France is ditching Google to reclaim its online independence | WIRED UK

    It will never happen, Europeans (Brits included) arrogantly think they can create the environment that exists in SV, they can't, for a multitude of reasons.

  5. #5

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    21,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Similar sentiment on the continent: France is ditching Google to reclaim its online independence | WIRED UK

    It will never happen, Europeans (Brits included) arrogantly think they can create the environment that exists in SV, they can't, for a multitude of reasons.

    Interesting reading that, they are saying one of the reasons is the way that Cambridge Analytica (remember them?) used and manipulated data.
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

  6. #6

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Cummings likes data. The more personal the better.

    No sure he knows hoe the tech sector works though.
    Cummings probably barely know how to turn on a ******* computer. He gets credit for the work done by outsourced parties, it's quite literally ******* insane.

  7. #7

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    21,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayn200 View Post
    Cummings probably barely know how to turn on a ******* computer. He gets credit for the work done by outsourced parties, it's quite literally ******* insane.

    You mean just like Boris?
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

  8. #8

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    20,602

    Default

    Interesting reading past the headline, the claim that Brexit will mean we can use state subsidies to boost the tech sector is another piece of misinformation. The EU rules already appear to allow us to do what Cummings wants to do, and France and Germany both spend far more on it than we do already without falling foul of the EU.

    What you can't do is spend indefinitely to prop up a failing business. What you can do is support R&D with clear spending plans that aren't just a wasteful open check book.

    Got a five year plan spend £1b to support businesses to develop the underlying tech to create a rival to Google? Crack on.

    Want to spend £200m a year indefinitely to subsidise a business that would otherwise fail without it? Nope, can't do that.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  9. #9

    Double Godlike!

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    10,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Interesting reading past the headline, the claim that Brexit will mean we can use state subsidies to boost the tech sector is another piece of misinformation. The EU rules already appear to allow us to do what Cummings wants to do, and France and Germany both spend far more on it than we do already without falling foul of the EU.

    What you can't do is spend indefinitely to prop up a failing business. What you can do is support R&D with clear spending plans that aren't just a wasteful open check book.

    Got a five year plan spend £1b to support businesses to develop the underlying tech to create a rival to Google? Crack on.

    Want to spend £200m a year indefinitely to subsidise a business that would otherwise fail without it? Nope, can't do that.
    It will be tax payers' money going into a black-hole belonging to Cummings' mates offshore companies. In any other country they would call it corruption and be protesting on the streets.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

  10. #10

    Fingers like lightning

    TheGreenBastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Interesting reading that, they are saying one of the reasons is the way that Cambridge Analytica (remember them?) used and manipulated data.
    Of course the gov(s) don't want companies like CA shaming their intelligence gathering capabilities, they'd much rather have direct control.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •