• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexiteer fisherman concerned that tariffs will impede their sale of fish to EU.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    They'll still eat fish, but they won't get it from the uk if they can get it for cheaper from somewhere else.
    If we leave with no deal and the EU fishing fleet is kept out of UK waters ( a big IF ) then I don't think the UK fishermen will struggle to sell their fish. The UK fisherman have been shafted over the years for the wider UK interest and I suspect they'll get shafted again in the next month or so.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      The fish in UK waters can easily be sourced elsewhere. After a no deal Brexit they'll just switch suppliers.
      France, Italy Spain buy a lot of the premium catch from the smaller operators in the UK. Albeit, via aggregators like Scotprime. Live tubed langoustine being a particularly profitable seller. Caught, boxed and delivered alive the following morning, is what makes it a premium product. Dead and frozen 48-72 hours later makes it a cheap product.

Jimmy Buchan (the star of Trawlermen TV series) and arch Brexiteer has sold his boat. Says it all.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
        If we leave with no deal and the EU fishing fleet is kept out of UK waters ( a big IF ) then I don't think the UK fishermen will struggle to sell their fish. The UK fisherman have been shafted over the years for the wider UK interest and I suspect they'll get shafted again in the next month or so.
        Please explain with examples and not bulls**t rhetoric made off the top of your head.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Please explain with examples and not bulls**t rhetoric made off the top of your head.
          Why the UK'''s fishing industry could be the issue that scuppers a Brexit deal with the EU | ITV News

The figures in there give an idea of how the quota system is warped against UK fishermen. I'm not saying the UK government wouldn't come up with a similar quota system that would allow big business to control matters.

I think it's hard to argue that British fisherman didn't get a rough deal when the UK signed away control of it's own fishing waters when it joined the EEC.

Comment

By the time the fish has cleared customs, it will be rotten, that's why and any fish that does get through fresh enough for consumption will be so expensive no one will buy it

Comment

Why the UK'''s fishing industry could be the issue that scuppers a Brexit deal with the EU | ITV News

The figures in there give an idea of how the quota system is warped against UK fishermen. I'm not saying the UK government wouldn't come up with a similar quota system that would allow big business to control matters.

I think it's hard to argue that British fisherman didn't get a rough deal when the UK signed away control of it's own fishing waters when it joined the EEC.
              But that does not explain your statement or argument
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                By the time the fish has cleared customs, it will be rotten, that's why and any fish that does get through fresh enough for consumption will be so expensive no one will buy it
                I refer you to Paddy's comment about bulls**t rhetoric made off the top of your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  But that does not explain your statement or argument
                  Please explain.

Comment

The 200 mile limit was agreed after the UK joined the EEC, most of what is considered British fishing waters was actually International waters at the time of joining. In any case the UK fishing fleet actually didn't fish in the North Sea, they were all fishing off the coast of Iceland. What killed the fishing industry was the 200 mile limit around Iceland. Fishermen didn't bother switching to the North sea, they sold up.

There is a lot of myths surrounding fishing. If the UK leaves without a deal, the fishing industry won't be revived, it'll just die.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Please explain.
                      You wrote
                      If we leave with no deal and the EU fishing fleet is kept out of UK waters ( a big IF ) [not in linked article]
                      then I don't think the UK fishermen will struggle to sell their fish. [ Not in linked article but it does say "They also say the UK could sell quotas to other countries, if the UK was unable to harvest all of its own stock." but that is not what you say.]

You wrote
                      The UK fisherman have been shafted over the years for the wider UK interest and I suspect they'll get shafted again in the next month or so. [ that is not what the article says]

The article does say "An example of what British fishers think is an unfair system is that France has 84% of the quota for cod in the English Channel, compared to the UK's tiny 9%." But it does not explain the fact that in a no deal France will retain their part of the Channel which happens to have the most Cod.

The article also says European fishers take up to 173 times more herring from UK waters than Brits do, however, herring is not a popular fish in the UK

The think tank says only 0.1% of gross value added (GVA) in the UK economy comes from the catching sector.
                      Despite fishing being such a big issue in the EU referendum, just 0.04% of the UK's jobs in 2018 were in the fishing sector - about 12,000. This is no where near enough to harvest all the fish stocks currently caught in UK waters.
                      In conclusion, the UK fishermen have shot themselves in the foot because deal or no deal they will lose out especially on exports.

Comment

Working...
                      X