• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexiteer fisherman concerned that tariffs will impede their sale of fish to EU.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    You wrote
    If we leave with no deal and the EU fishing fleet is kept out of UK waters ( a big IF ) [not in linked article]
    then I don't think the UK fishermen will struggle to sell their fish. [ Not in linked article but it does say "They also say the UK could sell quotas to other countries, if the UK was unable to harvest all of its own stock." but that is not what you say.]

You wrote
    The UK fisherman have been shafted over the years for the wider UK interest and I suspect they'll get shafted again in the next month or so. [ that is not what the article says]

The article does say "An example of what British fishers think is an unfair system is that France has 84% of the quota for cod in the English Channel, compared to the UK's tiny 9%." But it does not explain the fact that in a no deal France will retain their part of the Channel which happens to have the most Cod.

The article also says European fishers take up to 173 times more herring from UK waters than Brits do, however, herring is not a popular fish in the UK

In conclusion, the UK fishermen have shot themselves in the foot because deal or no deal they will lose out especially on exports.
    House of Lords - Brexit: fisheries - House of Lords European Union Committee

Some numbers above. It does depend how the UK government handles things in the unlikely event we leave without a deal that includes fishing. It wouldn't surprise me if the excess quota was flogged off to the same outfits that own it now. I didn't say the fisherman wouldn't be shafted again by our govt. If the quota is retained for use by UK fishermen then I don't see how it wouldn't eventually result in a large increase in the UK fishing fleet. The market wouldn't disappear overnight with the addition of tariffs.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
      House of Lords - Brexit: fisheries - House of Lords European Union Committee

Some numbers above. It does depend how the UK government handles things in the unlikely event we leave without a deal that includes fishing. It wouldn't surprise me if the excess quota was flogged off to the same outfits that own it now. I didn't say the fisherman wouldn't be shafted again by our govt. If the quota is retained for use by UK fishermen then I don't see how it wouldn't eventually result in a large increase in the UK fishing fleet. The market wouldn't disappear overnight with the addition of tariffs.
      Try going one step further and take the Non Tariff Barriers into account, like customs, delivery delays etc. The UK effectively traded it's exclusive access to it's own waters for a 10 fold increase in un-tariffed market when we joined the EU. If you ask any fisherman what they want, they'll tell you they want exclusive access to UK waters and the same full and tariff free access to EU markets that they have now. That's what Gove et al promised them.

The only thing that is going to happen here is that one way or another, fishermen will get shafted and they're generally just too slow to realise it.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Greenland has been out of the EU for over 30 years and still sells most of its fish to the EU. Greenland has more or less given up trying to escape the EU. It is very difficult to break into new markets as Fishermen everywhere are all protecting their national interests. If you want access to a market the market will demand access to your fish.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

You can go round in circles but I think it's unlikely 'the fishermen' ( the blokes who actually do the fishing ) will be in a worse position than they are now ( ie. they are only allowed to catch less than a fifth of the fish in their own waters ) if we have a no deal Brexit. The most likely outcome is we'll end up with a free trade deal and fishing will be part of that.
          Last edited by rootsnall; 26 October 2020, 16:50.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            If you ask any fisherman what they want, they'll tell you they want exclusive access to UK waters and the same full and tariff free access to EU markets that they have now. That's what Gove et al promised them.
            They want their cake and eat it to. I believe that was promised as well.

Comment

You can go round in circles but ...
              Translation: You can keep answering each of my arguments point by point and I am just going to keep saying them

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                They want their cake and eat it to. I believe that was promised as well.
                Not a problem if you hold all the cards.

Comment

The most likely outcome is we'll end up with a free trade deal and fishing will be part of that.
                  Free trade deal with whom? Doesn't look like EU and uk will get any deal agreed in time.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                    Free trade deal with whom? Doesn't look like EU and uk will get any deal agreed in time.
                    A free trade deal between the UK and the EU, it makes sense for both sides and will eventually happen after all the noise.

Comment

A free trade deal between the UK and the EU, it makes sense for both sides and will eventually happen after all the noise.
                      Why does it make sense for both sides?

Who is making all the noise?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X