• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexiteer fisherman concerned that tariffs will impede their sale of fish to EU.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This puts UK fishing it into perspective. This is all xenophobic jingoistic tosh and nothing to do with saving the fishing industry (at a time when veganism is growing ever more popular).

Today fishing contributes just a 10th of 1% to Britain's economy - less than Harrods, London's best-known department store - and yet it's at the centre of negotiations over the UK's post-Brexit deal with the EU
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      This puts UK fishing it into perspective. This is all xenophobic jingoistic tosh and nothing to do with saving the fishing industry (at a time when veganism is growing ever more popular).
      Fishing is the only industry which can potentially benefit from Brexit, the rest of the economy gets trashed.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Fishing is the only industry which can potentially benefit from Brexit, the rest of the economy gets trashed.
        Maybe it can grow as large as Harrods + the ciggies shop around the corner
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Barnier and Frost reach compromise on fishing – that will enrage Leave voters
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Oh dear

Brexit deal sell-out warning: Michel Barnier will get 'everything he wants' in fishing row
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              I'm surprised that you, living in the south-west, don't give a toss about this. It's a red line about UK waters, of which we were robbed just prior to when we joined the EEC. Look up how the CFP was created, in a hurry, and how much damage it has done to fish stocks - to the point whereby UK fishermen have to throw millions of dead fish back into the sea in the name of 'preservation', a policy which is not enforced by other EU fishing nations who don't give a toss about UK stocks because it's not their problem.
              There won't be a fishing industry to save if the EU had their way, because there'll be no fish worth catching. They will have to re-draft the deal with Canada so they can hoover up all their fish. I wonder what the Canadians will say...
              Last edited by Mordac; 10 November 2020, 00:37.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                I'm surprised that you, living in the south-west, don't give a toss about this. It's a red line about UK waters, of which we were robbed just prior to when we joined the EEC. Look up how the CFP was created, in a hurry, and how much damage it has done to fish stocks - to the point whereby UK fishermen have to throw millions of dead fish back into the sea in the name of 'preservation', a policy which is not enforced by other EU fishing nations who don't give a toss about UK stocks because it's not their problem.
                There won't be a fishing industry to save if the EU had their way, because there'll be no fish worth catching. They will have to re-draft the deal with Canada so they can hoover up all their fish. I wonder what the Canadians will say...
                You talk pollocks
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Again the media gives a platform to a nobody. Ben Habib is an ex-MEP with no position and no authority. The last thing on Ben_Habib's mind is fishing, it's a means to and end for him.

Ironically, he is yet another Tory emigrant who doesn't want other emigrates coming into the country.

Ben Habib - Wikipedia
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

EU plays hard ball

The UK will keep its cool and in the last minute the EU will cave.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      EU plays hard ball

The UK will keep its cool and in the last minute the EU will cave.
                      Or they won't cave and it will just go to show why the UK is better off outside the EU.

Comment

Working...
                      X