• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Brexit Shock" - Garden shop owner troubled, feels sorry for EU suppliers.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Brexit Shock" - Garden shop owner troubled, feels sorry for EU suppliers.

YOU the garden centers will be paying the tariffs you dick.

Plant inspectors and rising prices: UK garden industry set for Brexit shock | Politics | The Guardian

really? Then someone is telling him porkies...
    Some suppliers have told the nursery it could need plant inspectors on site every day to produce the quantity of certificates that would be required for cross-channel trade under the new “independent UK” regulatory system. Each certificate will cost £180 to the supplier, enough to wipe out the small margins on sales.

In addition to the health certificates, suppliers will be subject to health inspections at ports and inland border control posts, which are being set up under Michael Gove’s border operation model.

Suppliers will also have to supply export declarations to EU authorities for the first time, coupled with customs documentation on arrival in the UK for the first time.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Shame that we can't trust each other to produce disease free plants and accept each others' certificates. There can't really be that much difference between UK plant regulation and EU. I mean, it's not as though they're chlorinated.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Shame that we can't trust each other to produce disease free plants and accept each others' certificates. There can't really be that much difference between UK plant regulation and EU. I mean, it's not as though they're chlorinated.
        I think that is the root of the issue.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          really? Then someone is telling him porkies...
          What I meant was that nurseries in the Netherlands have the clout to force the costs on him.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
            What I meant was that nurseries in the Netherlands have the clout to force the costs on him.
            If global warming is for real we can grow our own tulips. (Tulip, it won't let me post tulips...)

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
            X