• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trade deal next week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trade deal next week

Apparently...

"Britain has CAVED. Unless someone in Westminster does something really stupid between now and then a deal will be signed."

this will give the UK access to the Single Market, tariff and quota free BUT with specific sanctions to be put on the UK if we lower standards or move away from the Level Playing Field on state aid etc. This means that the UK becomes a rule taker inasmuch as when the EU implement new regulations or standards, the UK MUST also implement those new rules too but without being in the room or being able to vote on drafting the new regulations.

importantly this agreement does NOT keep the UK in the Customs Union meaning that the worst case scenario of thousands of stranded trucks in Kent is still on the table as are the 30 million customs declarations required between GB and Northern Ireland, not to mention the hundreds of millions of new customs declarations required to ship from GB to EU customers.

Also: FISH. The UK will allow EU boats to continue to fish in UK waters, yes French ones too but the UKs quota will be gradually increased by agreement.

Based on history though, any new fishing quota issued to the UK will probably be sold to someone in Spain or Denmark in the future just like we did with our last ones.

Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Source?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Source?
      None

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Reuters reports the opposite
        EU, UK so far fail to bridge gaps to secure trade deal | Reuters

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Apparently...

"Britain has CAVED. Unless someone in Westminster does something really stupid between now and then a deal will be signed."

this will give the UK access to the Single Market, tariff and quota free BUT with specific sanctions to be put on the UK if we lower standards or move away from the Level Playing Field on state aid etc. This means that the UK becomes a rule taker inasmuch as when the EU implement new regulations or standards, the UK MUST also implement those new rules too but without being in the room or being able to vote on drafting the new regulations.

importantly this agreement does NOT keep the UK in the Customs Union meaning that the worst case scenario of thousands of stranded trucks in Kent is still on the table as are the 30 million customs declarations required between GB and Northern Ireland, not to mention the hundreds of millions of new customs declarations required to ship from GB to EU customers.

Also: FISH. The UK will allow EU boats to continue to fish in UK waters, yes French ones too but the UKs quota will be gradually increased by agreement.

Based on history though, any new fishing quota issued to the UK will probably be sold to someone in Spain or Denmark in the future just like we did with our last ones.

Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
          I can't see Boris signing this. It would have to be followed by his resignation. How 'reliable' do you think your source is?
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            I can't see Boris signing this. It would have to be followed by his resignation. How 'reliable' do you think your source is?
            I think Bojo would sign it but the deal will worded in a way that it looks like a victory for Bojo
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Pretty good, they've been reasonably reliable up until now. There might some slight change but that is the crux of the deal

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              I think Bojo would sign it but the deal will worded in a way that it looks like a victory for Bojo
              That was actually the last line but I deleted it...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                That will take some doing. I hope Dido doesn't get that job...
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

so predictable....

Brexit doesn't make it on to the middle pages in the newspapers in Europe. If Boris doesn't sign the EU will simply let the UK crash out and continue "negotiating" whilst the lorries pile up at the borders.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    so predictable....

Brexit doesn't make it on to the middle pages in the newspapers in Europe. If Boris doesn't sign the EU will simply let the UK crash out and continue "negotiating" whilst the lorries pile up at the borders.
                    Why would empty lorries going home need to 'pile up at the borders'? The UK is about to shut down again, we'll be importing like mad but exporting only the used packaging (under EU rules).

Comment

Working...
                    X