• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travelling to the Schengen Area from January 2021

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling to the Schengen Area from January 2021

A few points:

• Britons who are not resident in the EU by 31 December 2020 will be subject to checks by border authorities. These will verify the passport, which has to be less than 10 years old and have at least another 6 months of validity, the purpose and the length of stay (e.g. through the ticket and accommodation booking), and the proof of sufficient funds. The passport will be stamped.

• Britons will be able to stay visa-free in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days in 180 days (a calculator is available on the European Commission website). The 90-day period applies to the entire Schengen zone, not a single country.

• The European Commission has requested member states to notify whether they will require a visa for Brits carrying out a paid activity during short-term stays. For stays of more than 90 days, a national visa is required.

• An Airport Transit Visa (ATV) will also be necessary when passing through airports in the Schengen area (e.g. for a flight London-Frankfurt-Lagos). This change concerns non-EU citizens, including family members of EU nationals who have settled status in the UK, as a UK visa or residence permit will no longer exempt them.

• Britons will have to use “all passports” or “visa not required” lanes at terminals. They won’t be able to use e-gates, as these are reserved to passengers from the countries of the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland.

From 2022, however, the introduction of the Entry Exit System (EES) will make the use of e-gates possible without the need to stamp passports.
    Meanwhile, each member state can authorise the use of e-gates upon exit, if the passenger has entered the Schengen area in the same country and the passport is stamped.
    In the second half of 2022, the EU will also introduce the European Travel Authorisation and Information System (ETIAS). This will require visa-exempt non-EU citizens to apply for a travel authorisation online before their trip and pay a fee of 7 euros.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Source?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Source?
      Visit Europe from 1 January 2021 - GOV.UK

Comment

Told you so

Just waiting for the first bills to come out after Jan 1st and the deplorables will start complaining their mobile bills have gotten out of control

Mobile roaming: free roaming may end
        From 1 January 2021, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end.

Check with your phone operator to find out about any roaming charges you might get from 1 January 2021.

A new law means that you’re protected from getting mobile data charges above £45 without you knowing.

Once you reach £45, you need to opt in to spend more so that you can continue using the internet while you’re abroad. Your phone operator will tell how you can do this.

Comment

That wasn't so hard to provide, I see. Just lazy posting from Darmy

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            That wasn't so hard to provide, I see. Just lazy posting from Darmy
            I was only doing a Daily Mail and not providing sources, just using the 'anonymous source has reputedly said' form of reporting but this stuff has been in the press for months now
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

We won get over it

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

A lot of this, and the musicians thread, was talked about pre 2016 vote but was constantly called 'project fear' and this will never be the case because we will get a great deal. Let's hope those that voted out can no longer afford to travel to Benidorm for their hols and are forced to go to Blackpool instead
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Just waiting for the first bills to come out after Jan 1st and the deplorables will start complaining their mobile bills have gotten out of control
                  I note with interest your omission of...

The mobile operators (Three, EE, O2 and Vodafone) have have stated that they have no current plans to change their mobile roaming policies.
                  Source...
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    I note with interest your omission of...

Source...
                    No "current" plans ... do you realise that doesn't mean no plans at all don't you? And that these companies are there for profit so they will all start charging in the future? Or are you so blinkered by the lies that you can no longer make your own thinking?

Again, all this was known prior to 2016 so no surprises to those of us who are intelligent enough to understand what is going on. The sheeple who voted out though .... they're in for some big surprises
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X