• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Delays at sea ports have already started due to Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    How is a delay in handling container shipments from Asia due to Brexit? If the French port authorities want to make life difficult after 1st Jan, exports will certainly be affected, but we're not talking about exports. What's caused a spike in container traffic if it isn't Covid shutting down most of the air capacity? I know you have to stick to the 'Brexit is going to be sh!te' narrative, but it's a stuck record.
    Your stupidity keeps surprising me. It shows you haven't read the article. If containers stack up because of Brexit because there is not enough capacity to handle them, it means Asian containers also stock up because that same lack in capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Yes, that would be best. I’d like to see the volumes for air freight as well as ocean. While the rates are climbing, all options still seem to be available to my clients right now.

It’s also interesting that Mordac is blaming the current Covid lockdown - which has been going on for just over 2 weeks - for issues at UK ports that have been going on for 3 months.
      No it isn't because I'm not. I know it goes against your narrative (Must.Blame.Brexit) and that's probably affected your reading and comprehension skills.
      Air freight is roughly 90% down (a quick glance at the LHR arr/dep boards will tell you that, I just have to go out in my garden to see the lack of planes). Shipping freight is planned months in advance, I'm sure I'll be able to find some evidence that freight rates have increased significantly because nobody anticipated the sudden spike in demand, but what you're seeing now is because of decisions taken by freight companies many months ago.
      Either way, you can't explain how Brexit can affect shipments from Asia. There's a very good reason for that...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        I don't think being a postman really qualifies you as being in the freight business...Actually COVID does have a lot to do with it if you read other articles, apparently there are hundreds of containers of PPE equipment all piled up along with empty ones meaning not enough space for all the Chinese tat for Christmas presents. But still....Chris Grayling?
        I did an infrastructure upgrade for a UK-wide freight company (admittedly it was about 15 years ago) and I spent time in their Felixstowe base. Shipping movements are planned months in advance - I had to ensure that a system which was being phased out and replaced could stay running for at least a year after it was supposed to be redundant, because it wasn't possible to fully migrate the data to the replacement system. I got to know the sea-freight team quite well. Sea-freight to/from Europe was generally routed via Tilbury, and Felixstowe was used for the mega-ships which mostly arrive from Asia these days. As I said, that was some time ago, but I'd be surprised if the tonnage from Europe was more than 10% of that passing through Felixstowe.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Air freight is roughly 90% down (a quick glance at the LHR arr/dep boards will tell you that, I just have to go out in my garden to see the lack of planes).
          Strangely enough, most air freight (not just post or eBay purchases) are on flights that don’t appear on LHR arr/dep boards, and the cargo planes have kept flying - you won’t hear them that much as they tend to fly at night and some go to airports other than LHR.
          But I’ll humour you for a minute...
          UK air freight is around 2.6m tonnes annually
          UK sea freight is around 490m tonnes annually

So, if we took your silly figure of 90% down on air freight, that’s a reduction of 2.34m.
          Stick 2.34m into sea freight and that’s an increase of less than 0.5%. Or to put it another way, one small container vessel. If the whole of the UK’s sea freight operations collapse because of one small freighter, we’ve got a problem.

I realise you’re obsessed with Asia. We do about 50m tonnes of freight with Asia each year and about 200m tonnes with the EU.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The fact that air freight is down is a Brexit problem, because it has been pushed on to the Eurasia rail system. That means even more imports coming from Europe.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

It's even worse. Ships that can't discharge their goods in Felixstowe and the other UK ports are being diverted to Belgium and Holland.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes, Brexit keeps on giving.

New container route from Ireland to Dunkirk, bypassing the UK

New container route from Ireland to Dunkirk, bypassing the UK - EU Reporter
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I did an infrastructure upgrade for a UK-wide freight company
                  You've upgraded network from 100 Mbits to 1 Gbit?

Or at least tried to do it before MF stole it from you

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

No, he "upgraded" his Yodel delivery from 24 hour to 2 days.

It was a sofa.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Or at least tried to do it before MF stole it from you

At least shauny built the Indian mobile network single handedly

Comment

Working...
                      X