• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Delays at sea ports have already started due to Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    At least shauny built the Indian mobile network single handedly
    And prevented Soviet Union from reaching the Indian Ocean

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      And prevented Soviet Union from reaching the Indian Ocean
      Food poisoned them with his corned beef fritters at the Khyber Pass.

Comment

It's pathetic peeler bhoy did a runner instead of defending his critical to Cold War mission

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Strangely enough, most air freight (not just post or eBay purchases) are on flights that don’t appear on LHR arr/dep boards, and the cargo planes have kept flying - you won’t hear them that much as they tend to fly at night and some go to airports other than LHR.
          But I’ll humour you for a minute...
          UK air freight is around 2.6m tonnes annually
          UK sea freight is around 490m tonnes annually

So, if we took your silly figure of 90% down on air freight, that’s a reduction of 2.34m.
          Stick 2.34m into sea freight and that’s an increase of less than 0.5%. Or to put it another way, one small container vessel. If the whole of the UK’s sea freight operations collapse because of one small freighter, we’ve got a problem.

I realise you’re obsessed with Asia. We do about 50m tonnes of freight with Asia each year and about 200m tonnes with the EU.
          Some of our trade with the EU goes through Dover. I know because Chris Grayling told me. Or was it Grant Shapps? Still, either of them probably has more of a grasp of international shipping than you do.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            You've upgraded network from 100 Mbits to 1 Gbit?

Or at least tried to do it before MF stole it from you

Horror story actually. Bit of a mish-mash, including some frame relay (there's one for the teenagers), to MPLS with a full DR capability. They had the last AS/400 system I ever saw, about 10 years after I thought I'd never see another one. Still, they always seemed to have some interesting stuff in the warehouse, including supercars and crates full of exotic (or less than exotic) weapons. I'll leave it to your imagination as to which Gulf states they had contracts with...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Horror story actually. Bit of a mish-mash, including some frame relay (there's one for the teenagers), to MPLS with a full DR capability. They had the last AS/400 system I ever saw, about 10 years after I thought I'd never see another one. Still, they always seemed to have some interesting stuff in the warehouse, including supercars and crates full of exotic (or less than exotic) weapons. I'll leave it to your imagination as to which Gulf states they had contracts with...
              Plasma rifles in 40 watt range?

Comment

Some of our trade with the EU goes through Dover. I know because Chris Grayling told me. Or was it Grant Shapps? Still, either of them probably has more of a grasp of international shipping than you do.
                What have you been drinking?
                Correct, some of it goes through Dover. (About 5% of the overall tonnage, or 98% of Dover's tonnage)

The 5 busiest UK sea freight ports with the EU are:
                Grimsby & Immingham
                Dover
                London
                Tees & Hartlepool
                Forth
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Well there's a phrase and 2 names I wasn't expecting to see together in one paragraph
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Grayling is not exactly someone I would hire. He was transport secretary for only 4 months and if you look at the annual report from the Department for Transport while he was there, it doesn't make good reading for the amount of money he spaffed away:

- 50.2 million to a number of ferry companies for negotiated settlements due to Brexit being postponed and his cock-up with the invisible ferry ship company
                    - another 11.4 million for when Brexit was postponed again
                    - due to the above, they then had to pay 33 million to Eurotunnel in compensation
                    - they had to pay nearly half a million in non-refundable hotel fees and the same again on a border readiness contract, whatever that is
                    - then there was 16 million in preparation for a no-deal Brexit which never occurred
                    - they also had to pay 5 million to Arriva, a German company, for excluding them from a rail franchise contest
                    - and so on...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Grayling is not exactly someone I would hire.
                      But to someone of Mordac's intellectual capabilities, Grayling must seem like Einstein.

Comment

Working...
                      X