• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Honda pauses production after UK port woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    This shows you have no clue how the logistics world works.
    I've only done 4-5 years in various 'logistics' businesses, but I've seen enough disruption from strikes, weather problems, and bad planning to know that 'just in time' is asking for trouble. It's the sort of policy that gets designed by accountants. I also know which 'logistics' companies I'd steer well clear of.

I'm wondering why this is in the wrong forum, it doesn't have anything to do with Brexit (yet).
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      A genius idea, probably from a management consultant, who didn't anticipate delays due to problems with the weather, strikes in France, or a Global Pandemic. Honda have had nine months to adjust their logistics chain, and couldn't be bothered because they're closing the factory soon anyway.
      No they haven't because this hasn't been a transition period but a negotiation period. Companies need to know what they are transitioning to. The transition period will be the time period between when a deal is agreed and the end of the year.

Comment

A genius idea, probably from a management consultant, who didn't anticipate delays due to problems with the weather, strikes in France, or a Global Pandemic. Honda have had nine months to adjust their logistics chain, and couldn't be bothered because they're closing the factory soon anyway.
        In fairness the UK government that you support have not been able to make their adjustments in 5 years. This would be a non issue if they had.

Comment

I'm wondering why this is in the wrong forum, it doesn't have anything to do with Brexit (yet).

Brexit occurred on 31st January 2020.

The problems at Felixstowe and other ports are not due to strikes, bad weather, Christmas or the French.

Honda pulling out of the UK is not due to covid, strikes, bad weather, Christmas or the French.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            No they haven't because this hasn't been a transition period but a negotiation period. Companies need to know what they are transitioning to. The transition period will be the time period between when a deal is agreed and the end of the year.
            I wasn't referring to the transition period, I was referring to the disruption at ports caused by increased traffic due to the pandemic. But your point is still valid.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I wasn't referring to the transition period, I was referring to the disruption at ports caused by increased traffic due to the pandemic. But your point is still valid.
              No, it's Brexit what's doing it. It's even making fruit rot in the USA.

America’s busiest port runs out of room as global shipping chaos mounts

Comment

I've only done 4-5 years in various 'logistics' businesses, but I've seen enough disruption from strikes, weather problems, and bad planning to know that 'just in time' is asking for trouble. It's the sort of policy that gets designed by accountants. I also know which 'logistics' companies I'd steer well clear of.

eh?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post

A small change to the supply chain can have a huge impact. Britain is about to demonstrate how a massive change to the supply chain will work.

"respect"
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post

I'm not paying to read that, but I did see in the first paragraph that the fruit is destined for Asia. The headline references 'global shipping chaos'. Brexit didn't do any of that. Not even almost...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Brexit occurred on 31st January 2020.

The problems at Felixstowe and other ports are not due to strikes, bad weather, Christmas or the French.

Honda pulling out of the UK is not due to covid, strikes, bad weather, Christmas or the French.
                      No, they're mainly due to Covid.

Part of the problem is a shipment of 11,000 containers of PPE ordered by the government that is clogging up the port.
                      From: Felixstowe Port in '''chaos''' as Christmas and Brexit loom - BBC News
                      Last edited by Mordac; 9 December 2020, 14:27.

Comment

Working...
                      X