• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lobster (and chips) dividend!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    FTFY
    I don't think so, but you keep believing it.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      I don't think so, but you keep believing it.
      Me, I don't care. I get all that stuff without having to worry or source it from somewhere else
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I don't believe anyone really cares in the UK. If today the tomatoes are from Spain, but tomorrow they are from Morocco and price is roughly the same, no one is going to notice. Same for wine, the cheapest wine is usually from Australia and South America in the supermarkets here.

Comment

I don't believe anyone really cares in the UK. If today the tomatoes are from Spain, but tomorrow they are from Morocco and price is roughly the same, no one is going to notice. Same for wine, the cheapest wine is usually from Australia and South America in the supermarkets here.

Why would the price be the same between one where there's a negotiated free trade deal and one where there isn't?

So, if tomatoes go up in price by 8% (1st November - 14th May) or 14% (15th May - 31st October) is that roughly the same as today? (hint: it's not, it's an increase of between 8 and 14% depending on the time of year)

Commodity information for 0702.00.00.07 - Trade with the UK: look up tariffs, taxes and rules
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            It mentions "home grown beer" - a lot of the beer yeast is imported, as is the wine and champagne yeast.
            Small beer (!) though as a part of the overall cost.

How is toast and chips a meal?

Cod and chips will be back on once we stop all those foreigners ravaging our ocean floor.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think the point is, with a no deal Brexit, the UK will have to adapt its supply chains, and will of course.

If everyone wants product of service X and this cannot be easily or cheaply sourced from the EU, other countries will step in, including the UK.

If a certain French cheese is no longer available, people will switch to an alternative that is similar.

The view that the UK population are going to instantly commit suicide because some cheese is not on the shelf is simply ludicrous.

To be honest, if this is the biggest worry about a hard Brexit, it is clearly of very low importance?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Why would the price be the same between one where there's a negotiated free trade deal and one where there isn't?

So, if tomatoes go up in price by 8% (1st November - 14th May) or 14% (15th May - 31st October) is that roughly the same as today? (hint: it's not, it's an increase of between 8 and 14% depending on the time of year)

Commodity information for 0702.00.00.07 - Trade with the UK: look up tariffs, taxes and rules
                https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...ifference-270g

Country of Origin

Grown in United Kingdom

Delicious!

Comment

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...ifference-270g

Country of Origin

Grown in United Kingdom

Delicious!

You're the one that suggested Morocco.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I think the point is, with a no deal Brexit, the UK will have to adapt its supply chains, and will of course.

If everyone wants product of service X and this cannot be easily or cheaply sourced from the EU, other countries will step in, including the UK.

If a certain French cheese is no longer available, people will switch to an alternative that is similar.

The view that the UK population are going to instantly commit suicide because some cheese is not on the shelf is simply ludicrous.

To be honest, if this is the biggest worry about a hard Brexit, it is clearly of very low importance?
                    Indeed. I'm hardly worried I won't be able to eat broccoli year-round.

If anything it might encourage more seasonal eating and a less carbon-y farming footprint to rely more on local produce. This whole idea we can get everything all the time is really very modern.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Indeed. I'm hardly worried I won't be able to eat broccoli year-round.

If anything it might encourage more seasonal eating and a less carbon-y farming footprint to rely more on local produce. This whole idea we can get everything all the time is really very modern.
                      Eat local for the economy and the environmental impact.

Comment

Working...
                      X