• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government must 'get a grip' of what is now a full-blown crisis in the fishing indus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government must 'get a grip' of what is now a full-blown crisis in the fishing indus

" Ministers need to urgently address problems facing fishing exports to Europe, the body representing Scottish seafood processors has said

Scotland's fishermen have told Boris Johnson his Brexit trade deal leaves them with the "worst of both worlds" amid export delays and collapsing market prices.

In a letter to the Prime Minister, the Scottish Fishermen's Federation (SFF) said the industry was facing "mounting financial losses" and the only way to ensure a fair price was a 72-hour round trip to land catch in Denmark.

Elspeth Macdonald, the trade group's chief executive, said there was "huge disappointment and a great deal of anger about your failure to deliver on promises made repeatedly to this industry."

She accused him of having "spun a line" about a 25 per cent uplift in the UK's quota and demanded urgent details of promised compensation for the disruption."

Government must 'get a grip' of what is now a full-blown crisis in the fishing industry, say fishermen

ToryGraph typically Brexit supporting users -

"RH 15 Jan 2021 8:41PM

Whining fishermen - pathetic bunch of rapacious pillagers hopefully getting their comeuppance. Brexit should be about the environment and nothing else. Why on earth we are providing subsidies and funding for this useless lot escapes me. They have wrecked our seas for years "

EU will not object of Britain stops fishing to conserve real British fish

The auto industry doesn't look much better

Brexit deal may be too little, too late for UK auto industry

Bankers also leaving the UK

Brexit Driving Top Dealmakers Out of London and Into the EU

Agriculture and Haulage doesn't look too bright either

Brexit impact on hauliers has severe implications for the agriculture industry
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 January 2021, 09:25.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

The one bright spot is the pro-Brexit media sector which seems to be booming.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

If only someone had warned them about all of this before the brexit referendum and during the 3.5 years after

Comment

Don't listen to anyone in the fishing industry, clearly they know nothing, Raab said it's a great deal for the fishing industry as they can now catch 15% more fish. No one to sell the wee feckers to, but yay more fish. He also said that companies going bankrupt due to not being able to sell to the EU has nothing to do with Brexit. They had no issues selling stuff before Brexit though but whatever.

And so the backtracking begins...and still no one interviewing these feckers calls them out. Pathetic *******.

Comment

I love this quote on a BBC story

When we had a [Brexit] deal, I thought, we're saved all the rigmarole and hassle, it'll work sweet as a nut, but it hasn't happened," says Mr Flannigan. Instead, he says, it feels like the clock's been turned back 30 years.
            Isn't that what they voted for, to go back to life pre-EU? What are they complaining for?
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              I love this quote on a BBC story

Isn't that what they voted for, to go back to life pre-EU? What are they complaining for?

That is what happened regardless of whether they voted for it. It is called democracy.

You remoaners didn't think we could still play on their golf course once we left it? They are going to be as difficult as possible to all non members to try to make their club seem exclusive.

Actually we have gone back 40 years as we are no longer part of the common market either as it mutated into something more federal.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X