• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eurostar on brink of collapse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eurostar on brink of collapse

In itself more Covid related than Brexit, but the Express readers all agree no help from the UK government should be given as it is a foreign company.
    Of course the average Express reader will never travel any further than their local Wetherspoons and has no clue how vital Eurostar is for the UK economy
    Eurostar on brink of collapse: French state-owned rail service BEGS for UK help | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

France not interested in bailout?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      France not interested in bailout?
      You'd think they would be, given that they own a substantial stake in Eurostar.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        You'd think they would be, given that they own a substantial stake in Eurostar.
        I guess France (correctly) judged that Eurostar is more valueable to the UK

Comment

Britain doesn't hold any stake in Eurostar:

SNCF (55%)
          SNCB (5%)
          LCR (40%)
          Caisse de Depot et Placement du Quebec (CDPQ) and Hermes Infrastructure (40%). Sold by the Treasury in 2015

Eurotunnel on the other hand...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

UK government rather cleverly sold its stake a while back, perhaps anticipated this very situation. Eurostar in itself is just a train company, therefore it can go bankrupt and a new company will emerge. No damage to UK economy like ATW is suggesting.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

The government knew about a coming pandemic? Didn't prepare for it very well did they. I think you'll find the treasury sold their because they were skint
              Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              UK government rather cleverly sold its stake a while back, perhaps anticipated this very situation. Eurostar in itself is just a train company, therefore it can go bankrupt and a new company will emerge. No damage to UK economy like ATW is suggesting.
              Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                The government knew about a coming pandemic? Didn't prepare for it very well did they. I think you'll find the treasury sold their because they were skint

You must be really thick. The government anticipated Eurostar going bankrupt. What are you smoking today?
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

So nothing to do with Tory privatisation mania and selling it for a pittance? Keep on drinking the Koolaid
                  Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  You must be really thick. The government anticipated Eurostar going bankrupt. What are you smoking today?

Comment

So it’s going to be French menus both ways now

Comment

Working...
                    X