• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit Construction Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Construction Doom

How has Brexit and COVID-19 affected EU workforce for UK construction?

I'm sure North Korean, Indian and Bangladeshi builders will line up to replace

North Korea is big on slave labour market - just need to remove 48 working hours malarkey and they can build nuclear power stations on the cheap - with double the yield on plutonium

Comment

They built the stadiums for the World Cup in Russia without sleep, food and salary

Comment

Construction sector is full of ex convictr or people with a criminal history.
        Some people will quickly find out that they might get answers that were not looking to hear. How to you give that person a visa afterwards?

It is a tought requiring a certain type of character and the use of some muscles that many people don’t.

We might see asian people taking the jobs of east Europeans which I guess should make the brexities happy: they will no longer have to wait for them to open their mouth, they can spot the foreigners from distance.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          Construction sector is full of ex convictr or people with a criminal history .
          Some, yes.
          Full, no.

We also have a lot of ex-military.
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Which are also a lot of ex convicts

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
              Some, yes.
              Full, no.

I was referring to the foreign ones that you would have to give a temporary visa to. If they are honest you will reduce the numbers a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                I was referring to the foreign ones that you would have to give a temporary visa to. If they are honest you will reduce the numbers a lot.
                Evidence for this?

From what I have seen there are just as many ex-cons from the UK as there are of other nationalities.

And as "locals" don't want to work in trades we get who we can.
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                  Evidence for this?

From what I have seen there are just as many ex-cons from the UK as there are of other nationalities.

And as "locals" don't want to work in trades we get who we can.
                  It is the same for UK or other nationalities, yes.
                  To the other nationalities you will have to offer a visa and that visa is potentially conditioned by a criminal record.
                  Suddenly you get a reduced pool to pick from.

No source, a relative worked in sector and also recruited for unskilled jobs. Some are open about it without being required.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Which are also a lot of ex convicts

Speak for your military, ours have saved Democracy again and again.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X