• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexiter Roger Daltrey criticises restrictions for musicians touring Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexiter Roger Daltrey criticises restrictions for musicians touring Europe

“ Accused of hypocrisy after signing an open letter decrying the government’s position on musicians touring the EU post-Brexit despite previously endorsing Brexit, the Who’s Roger Daltrey has clarified his anti-Brussels stance, but argues the government should have prioritised the “easing of restrictions” for musicians and actors.

In 2019, Daltrey said he did not believe that Brexit would have a negative impact on the British music industry. “As if we didn’t tour Europe before the ******* EU,” he told Sky News. “Oh, give it up!”

However, his name appeared on a list of signatories – among them Elton John and Sting – who said that musicians had been “shamefully failed” by the government over the issue of touring, which has seen the UK and EU engaged in recriminations over who is to blame for the increased red tape facing British musicians at the border of each individual EU member state.“

Brexiter Roger Daltrey criticises restrictions for musicians touring Europe | Roger Daltrey | The Guardian

It’s a real pity EU isn’t as evil as Brexitees claimed - it should have banned all high profile ones from visits for life

I hear, but am too lazy to find a source, that bands who would have previously kicked off a European tour from the UK are now planning to start in Germany instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I hear, but am too lazy to find a source, that bands who would have previously kicked off a European tour from the UK are now planning to start in Germany instead.
      To make a living as a musician in the UK you also need to go to Europe to perform, because it's difficult to find enough work in the UK. Now you can't.

You can only perform once in a venue, you need a lot of venues.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Just let them go do gigs in Grimsby, who wants to play in Paris anyway? Bring music back home and make it great again.

Comment

Yep. bands, primarily US ones, who were starting European tours used Britain as the hub to kick off their tours, basically a starting and ending point. With the new rules they're no longer looking at that and instead France and Germany will be possible hubs. It's just too darn expensive for them so I would expect there to be 2 tours in future if it is worth their while. I know 2 bands in the USA who are already rescheduling their tour dates using Germany as their hub and are not too sure if they'll do the UK even though they really want to.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Yep. bands, primarily US ones, who were starting European tours used Britain as the hub to kick off their tours, basically a starting and ending point. With the new rules they're no longer looking at that and instead France and Germany will be possible hubs. It's just too darn expensive for them so I would expect there to be 2 tours in future if it is worth their while. I know 2 bands in the USA who are already rescheduling their tour dates using Germany as their hub and are not too sure if they'll do the UK even though they really want to.
            That's not really much of a problem, what is bad is the thousands of UK musicians with modest income who won't be able perform in the EU because of the effort and cost involved.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Is Daltrey stupid or just plain thick as sh....

"Switzerland has borders with five EU countries, and trade is electronically frictionless. Why not us?"

Roger Daltrey responds to backlash over post-Brexit music touring comments | Ents & Arts News | Sky News
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

with a German road crew and equipment hired from a German company.
                The British touring industry is dead. What was probably the world's best is now ruined entirely.

This was an industry I was very nearly in and have lots of friends who are now ****ed.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  That's not really much of a problem, what is bad is the thousands of UK musicians with modest income who won't be able perform in the EU because of the effort and cost involved.
                  they should use the government tool to find out what their next career should be and reskill.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    with a German road crew and equipment hired from a German company.
                    The British touring industry is dead. What was probably the world's best is now ruined entirely.

This was an industry I was very nearly in and have lots of friends who are now ****ed.
                    JRM is claiming that now musicians are british and they're happier because they're british

Comment

Working...
                    X