• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mastercard to increase fees for UK purchases from EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    INKSPE

I only use Amex Platinum
    Is Amex still widely accepted in the UK? I used to have a company Amex years ago and I was surprised how many merchants refused it due to the costs of their transactions.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Amex got highest charges like 3.4%+, but B2B with US makes it essential

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Is Amex still widely accepted in the UK? I used to have a company Amex years ago and I was surprised how many merchants refused it due to the costs of their transactions.
        Depends on where you are in the UK. Widely accepted in cities but less so in the provinces. National chains will accept at any location, which is handy.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Amex got highest charges like 3.4%+, but B2B with US makes it essential
        Not according to the chap who runs the dry cleaners round the corner. He says Amex are pretty good on charges and are quite low.

Comment

Not according to the chap who runs the dry cleaners round the corner. He says Amex are pretty good on charges and are quite low.
          Yer local City Laundramat?

Cardholder not present transactions got higher risk than chip and pin stuff.

Comment

Depends on where you are in the UK. Widely accepted in cities but less so in the provinces. National chains will accept at any location, which is handy.

There was a big push several years ago at Amex to have parity on charges with the other card issuers. Amex acceptance is still an issue in Europe mainly for historical reasons and reluctance to change from vendors & merchants. As was mentioned in a previous post all business card issuers are concentrating their efforts at B2B as T&E (Travel & Expenses) has taken a nose dive since COVID.

Comment

Most merchant accounts will allow you to accept Amex cards, but typically at a premium. For example, you may pay up to 3.7% per transaction for Amex, where Visa and MasterCard average between 1.4% and 2.7% for most merchants. Most merchants offset this cost by either refusing Amex cards altogether or setting a minimum purchase limit for Amex.
              American Express (AMEX) Merchant Account Review | ExpertSure.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

INKSPE

I only use Amex Platinum
                  Enjoy that 2.99% fee.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                    Enjoy that 2.99% fee.
                    What fee is that? I earn back my annual fee by utilising cash back offers they run but I don't incur any per transaction charges. The retailer may pay them but that means you mugs paying by debit card are subsidising my choice of card.

Comment

that means you mugs paying by debit card are subsidising my choice of card.

Comment

Working...
                      X