• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mastercard to increase fees for UK purchases from EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    What fee is that? I earn back my annual fee by utilising cash back offers they run but I don't incur any per transaction charges. The retailer may pay them but that means you mugs paying by debit card are subsidising my choice of card.
    That's the fee you get charged overseas with Amex as well as their horrific FX rates.

Anyway - Amex Platinum - Paying £575 for lounge access, travel insurance and a couple of upgrades? INKSPE.

BTW that unlimited spending? It's 3x the rolling average of you last 3 monthly spends more or less, and applicable across all Amex cards bar Centurion.

I love Amex customer service, but my butler is an understated chap, and prefers that I lend him my Green Card. Much classier.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      What fee is that? I earn back my annual fee by utilising cash back offers they run but I don't incur any per transaction charges. The retailer may pay them but that means you mugs paying by debit card are subsidising my choice of card.
      The fees are always paid by the retailer. Retailers add a surcharge, refuse cards or simply raise their prices to compensate. In the end the consumer will pay.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        In the end the consumer will pay.
        But not ladymuck

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
          That's the fee you get charged overseas with Amex as well as their horrific FX rates.

Anyway - Amex Platinum - Paying £575 for lounge access, travel insurance and a couple of upgrades? INKSPE.

BTW that unlimited spending? It's 3x the rolling average of you last 3 monthly spends more or less, and applicable across all Amex cards bar Centurion.

I love Amex customer service, but my butler is an understated chap, and prefers that I lend him my Green Card. Much classier.
          I'm not daft enough to use Amex overseas! I load up my Monzo card for holidays

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            “ Departure from single market spells end for Brussels-mandated cap on transaction levies

Mastercard will increase fees more than fivefold when a British shopper uses a debit or credit card to buy from an EU-based company
            Sounds like bad news for EU-based companies, and for the tiny number of British shoppers that cannot source the same item from a UK-based company.

But good news for British companies that may wish to look into producing the miniscule range of products that are, currently, only viably produced in the EU.

Not really all that much of a showstopper, unless of course you are prone to the sort of hysterical bedwetting that is a staple amongst the unimaginitive Bremainer community.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Sounds like bad news for EU-based companies, and for the tiny number of British shoppers that cannot source the same item from a UK-based company.

But good news for British companies that may wish to look into producing the miniscule range of products that are, currently, only viably produced in the EU.

Not really all that much of a showstopper, unless of course you are prone to the sort of hysterical bedwetting that is a staple amongst the unimaginitive Bremainer community.

You contradict yourself by saying bad news for EU companies and there is only a tiny number of British shoppers, in which case it wouldn't be bad news for the EU companies but only for this (in your opinion) tiny number of shoppers.

You better keep yourself to potato peeling.

Oh and bremainers don't exist anymore, the UK left remember so there's nothing to bremain. We're now Breturners

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                You contradict yourself by saying bad news for EU companies and there is only a tiny number of British shoppers, in which case it wouldn't be bad news for the EU companies but only for this (in your opinion) tiny number of shoppers.

You better keep yourself to potato peeling.

Oh and bremainers don't exist anymore, the UK left remember so there's nothing to bremain. We're now Breturners
                I went to some lengths to explain that there are, in reality, only a small number of items that can solely be obtained by British shoppers in the EU marketplace. Where that applies, it is bad news mainly for those EU companies supplying this miniscule range of products.
                Even having done that, you, as usual, spectacularly failed to grasp it. Quelle surprise.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

You tell ‘em sarg

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    You tell ‘em sarg
                    Private 2nd class, he never managed to make any promotion

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      Private 2nd class, he never managed to make any promotion
                      He’d become a General if they were serving spuds in the officers kitchen

Comment

Working...
                      X